Where is Stop Solenoid on VECTRA

Can anyone tell me where the stop solenoid is on my diesel Vectra (2000 x20dtl). Thanks Bamaa

Reply to
Bamaa

It doesn't have one in the traditional sense. There is an ECU in the top of the pump which controls the pump and shuts off the fuel when the ignition is turned off. The pump is a sealed unit so component parts cannot be replaced (by a DIY'er, anyway)

What is the problem with the vehicle?

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Pretty sure that's a fly by wire pump.There is no stop solenoid as such, just a big solenoid inside the pump that controls pump timing + fuel delivery.

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Thanks for youre replies,the actual problem is the car just wont start,the engine turns but there is no sign of it firing. Bamaa

Reply to
Bamaa

Did this come on suddenly?

Is there any strange behaviour i.e. rapid flashing of the immobilizer lamp, does the ECU fault lamp come on with key-on and go out as usual?

Common fault on these is fuel running back to the tank after a period of being stood, over night is enough in severe cases caused by defective injector leak off seals.

More info required please..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The fault occured after being parked for 30 mins,hasnt started since.Before it was running fine,now no sign of firing!ECU lamp comes on then goes off as usual,and there are no unusual ignition or immobilizer lamps.Ive checked a glow plug connector and there is power on it when trying to start,Ive also loosened the water drain plug in the fuel filter to drain of any water a small amount of diesel came out with no sign of any water.Now run out of ideas! Bamaa

Reply to
Bamaa

Sounds like the fuel has run back to the tank. I've had a few recently where the injector leak off pipes have perished. Easiest way to check is to pull the leak off pipe off, where it goes onto the pipe into the pump. This is normally the pipe that perishes worst. If you look at the end of it, you'll soon see if has split.

Best way to check to see if the leak pipes are causing the problem, is to blank off the nipple you just pulled the pipe off (Easiest way is a new bit leak off pipe, with a hose clamp or mole grips on them), and try starting the car. This may take a fair bit of cranking, sometimes taking upto 2 minutes cranking (not all at once, as you risk burning out the starter).

If the car starts, then the problem is in the leak off pipes/seals. With the car running, take a clean bit duster/tissue (preferably white) and hold it against the end off the leak off pipe you just took off. If clean diesel comes out, then change the leak off pipes. However, if the diesel is dirty (ie contaminated with oil), then it's most likely the injector seals. If the engine has been fitted with clear/white plastic t-pieces on the leak off pipes, then these will be stained black on the inside if it is the injector seals. If it's the injector seals, then it's a major job.

If the car didn't start, then you'll have to start looking else where, and go back to basics first. Check fuel pipes, connections.......

Moray

PS. For those who may be wondering why the leak off pipes go back into the feed line to the injection pump, it's because the leak off pipes are internal to the engine. If a leak develops, then air will be drawn into the fuel system, and the engine will loose power, stop or usually, be hard to start. Whereas if the leak off pipes were connected to the return line to the tank, if a leak was to develop, then the engine oil would gradually be contaminated with diesel, eventually leading to major engine damage if went unnoticed.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I couldnt have put it better myself!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks for that I will give it a try tommorow and let you know the results. Bamaa

Reply to
Bamaa

My 2.2Dti was getting awkward to start when it was left unused for 1 or

2 days (i.e. a weekend). Come Monday morning it was a pig to start, needing much churning of starter (5 second burst, 10 second rest, 4 or 5 times before it would start) resulting in a rather lumpy idle for a few seconds. The leak off pipes were perished and split. The pipe on injector 1 was hard and broke off. The new reinforced rubber pipe material that Vauxhall sell for the job is much better. Replacing all the pipes (cost about £12 for a standard length) cured the problem completly. Dave
Reply to
Dave Spam

Hi,I tried the above procedure and indeed the leak off pipe did have some small splits in the end,whether they were enough to let the air in Im not sure.Anyway no fuel came out the pipe,it seemed completly dry.I tried a new piece and clamped the end,but unfortunatly it still wouldnt start!When I took the new piece off their did appear to be a small amount of fuel,so I think the fuel is probably getting through.Its booked into the garage for Monday so when I know the problem I will post an update.Thanks again for everyones help. Bamaa

Reply to
Bamaa

Apparently its the Injector pump,and with new injectors as well is going to cost around £2000.Dont buy a Vectra!!!

Reply to
Bamaa

How many miles has the old pump done, as a matter of interest?

Tony.

Reply to
Tony

Injector pump? You *absoloutly sure* ? I suggest that you get a second opinion. The leak off pipes failing is a very common fault and could be misdiagnosed as a pump problem. Change them anyway for £12. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

I tried blocking off the leak off pipes as was recomended in the earlier post post,still wouldnt start.It seems strange to me the pump should suddenly go,but unfortunatly its in the garage being done now!! Next time I will get a second opion from the Vauxhall dealer,is it usual to replace the injectors at the same time?

Reply to
Bamaa

BTW-forget to mention its done 103,000 miles

Reply to
Bamaa

Pass on the injectors, I don't know. I'm still slightly stunned at the failure and repair cost. Must be a large %age of the car value if it's done 103K as you mention. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

It depends on what has caused the pump failure, as to weather the injectors should be replaced. If the injection pump has broken up, then the chances are the injectors will be clogged with bits of metal. However, as the injection pump failed suddenly, personally i'd guess the pumps suffered an electrical fault, and would be very reluctant to replace the injectors. I'd at least fit a new injection pump, and then see how the car runs before considering to change the injectors. These injection pumps are normally very reliable.

moray

Reply to
Moray Cuthill