Ford Is Selling Volvo !!!

I am surprised at many of you. For Volvo enthusiasts, your knowledge of Volvo and the Volvo/Ford relationship is very inaccurate. The S80 was designed by volvo engineers/designers almost ten years ago. The marriage with Ford brough Volvo the capital to develop the S80. Therefore any derivative thereof has been all-volvo. Like the S60. This is no more ford than an aston martin.

It saddens me to think that you all believe Volvo has gone in the wrong direction with their design. But what do you think die-hard owners of the 200 series were thinking when the 700 series came out. Or the 800 series. Or even a five cylinder engine! Volvo's are no less safe and no less durable than they were twenty years ago. You ahve to drive a volvo long enough to find that out. And just because one component breaks doesn't mean the whole thing is terrible.

Additionally, the only thing shared between the new S40 and the Ford Focus is the chassis. Let's learn the basics people.

Also, you might think the 850 was the first volvo with front wheel drive. You're wrong. the 400 series was front wheel drive in the 80's. Having a transverse engine also gives a car's frame more give in an accident, and provides a barrier for a collision, without throwing the engine through the firewall.

With the exception of Jaguar, the PAG has been really autonomous in their workings. And the S40 is finally more a volvo than a japanese car. Don't like the styling? Buy a used 740. This is where volvo is going, and frankly, I like it (and I drove a 740 for 14 years).

Reply to
Linkster82

[...]

Hooray! Finally somebody who reflects the truth and speaks with common sense on this issue!!!

PC

[...]
Proconsul

the chassis. Let's learn the basics people.

This is not true. They have a lot of shared components (streering, underbody, supension etc). The new Ford Focus, Mazda 3 and Volvo S40 are a joint developing project.

/Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

Depends on the price. Factories in Euroupe where salaries are high might be sold to a relocalisation company that guts the factory and ships the equipment to India or Asia. Ford might do this themselves as well, but I dont think so. They've got many production sites through their accusitions, and they will probably be on the lookout to sell when they think they'll get a fair price.

/Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

We are surprised and surprised and surprised and surprised and surprised at you. You posted the same article 5 times.

The Volvo 480ES, introduced in 1986, was a front-drive hatchback. The

480 used a 1.7 Renault engine, and was built in the Netherlands at the Volvo BV plant. Did the Born, Netherlands, group design the 850?????
Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

But the DESIGN of the S60 still sucks big time!!! I know, I have one and will soon get rid of it. My experience with the S60 may chase me away from Volvo for good - too bad because we used to be very die-hard and loyal. The direction Volvo is going is similar to so many of the ricers - lots of fluff, very little substance.

[...]

Steve S

Just like a Lincoln Town Car is built out of much better parts than is it's half price cousin the Ford Crown Victoria ... oh yeah, the Town Car uses almost all of the same mechanical parts as does the Crown Vic.

What make you think that Ford will do any better with the Mazda/Volvo vehicle than it has with the Jaguar X-type?

John

Reply to
John Horner

I'm surprised that you don't know how to use usenet. The same post 5 times?

Reply to
John Horner

Exactly. Ford is the Microsoft of automakers. They make bland, soulless, buggy implimentations of other people's ideas. It's good enough for the rental fleets and that's all they really care about.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The Jaguar X-type is just a fancy Ford Contour. However it is quite reliable. Much more reliable than the old Jags XJs.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Also to note, Fiat group SpA wanted to buy Volvo before Ford did.

The plan didn't go through, which is too bad, it would have saved Fiat.

Fiat group owns

Alfa Romeo Maserati Ferrari Lancia

and a whole whack of other companies. Now Fiat is in trouble, and if Fiat had bought Volvo at the time, most likely the cars would have been shared on Alfa Romeo platforms.

The Alfa Romeo 156 is proving to be a good car (although, sadly, we don't get Alfa or any Fiat product other than Ferrari and Maserati in North America).

Reply to
Myron Samila