Ford sale

Any word if the Ford employee price deal will apply to Volvos?

Reply to
Steve

It should if it follows the GM pattern. Saabs are offered at employee pricing.

Aston Martins will not be discounted - too bad.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

From a Bloomberg News press release, quote "The program doesn't apply to Ford Mustang and GT cars and the hybrid gasoline- electric Escape SUV, he said. Ford's Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin brands also aren't covered." ^^^^^^

000006&sid=at_C.CiUT0U4&refer=home

Reply to
Reed

John

Reply to
John Horner

000006&sid=at_C.CiUT0U4&refer=home>>

John;

Much as I would love a super deal on a Volvo GM's move is just plain desperation.

They make fine quality cars, truly they are night and day from where they were-I drove a late 90's Malibu and was quite impressed. Their product it's self is not attractive however--the image, the way they drive, and how they look. They seem to be doing a lot to change that, however its still just starting to come out of the pipeline.

The new Pontiac G6 is a good example--its a fine Accord/Camry class car, but it's not the car I **want** to buy. It also suffers from poor predicted resale value, making leases more expensive (and the car more attractive for me should I adopt my own a Miata (mx-5) and an appliance (camry/accord/626/malibu/g6/ford 500) policy--used Miata for 8-10, used appliance for 14-18).

GM has gambled that it's future is providing the best trucks and SUV's out there. The hummer is quite simply unparalled (and I would not own one), the Escalade and the Suburban have their markets well handled, and the Equinox/vue have the potential to become the family jeepster of the 21st C.

The rub? No one in the USA or at least on the coasts wants a GM car or truck. They have to get the old iron moving and they have to get the iron into peoples hands so they can see how good the newer GM products are. GM also has huge pension issues and fixed costs so they need to push every incremental (marginal) unit out the door they can to help spread that cost.

GM's Saab unit has been badly managed, IMHO and it's hurting, while Fords Volvo has been well managed and if Ford avoids their mistake with the Taurus, failing to invest in refinements and R/D Volvo will I think lead Ford back from the brink along with the very fine, but again something I would never own -- F series trucks.

It's in our interests **in the long run** to have a healthy Ford as Americans, and Europeans--Ford employs a whole lot of folks. It's in our interests as folks who like good cars, perhaps a bit unusual cars to have a healthy Volvo (along with the hope that Ford does not blow it with Volvo like GM did with Saab and BMW did with rover).

Therefore, its very sad to me personally, but I am glad that Ford marketing folks see the Volvo brand as strong enough that it does not need the help that Saab under GM's management does (and don't forget that with out GM or someone Saab would be gone by now). I hope Ford is right!

Reply to
Steve

This really isn't the place for this conversation, but I will say that most of Ford's domestic lineup is at least as uninteresting as GM's ... and will Ford ever figure out what to do with Lincoln and Mercury? Talk about mismanaged brands!

John

Reply to
John Horner