Front suspension popping on 244 turbo....

I have an '84 244 turbo and the right front tire makes a loud pop sound with spring noise when making hard left or right turns. It seems like something popping back and forth as it will pop once when making right turns, and then pop back when making a left turn. I have jacked the car up and the ball joint doesn't feel loose. I assume the spring noise is the front spring so I guess it is something close to that. When doing normal driving the car feels fine....no rattling or loose feeling, even on the freeway. This only happens when making hard u-turns and the like. Is this a bushing or something easy, or is this something in the front strut?

-z

Reply to
zoltan

bearing in upper springseat

Reply to
M-gineering

Thanks! That makes total sense.....I'll replace both of those. This problem has baffled me for a long time....

Reply to
zoltan

Hmmm.....where can I get a tool that will loosen the upper strut nut? I guess I need a 24mm extra deep offset box wrench or something similar but I can't find that anywhere....

Reply to
zoltan

Spin it off using an air impact wrench.

If you don't have air, IPD sells a tool for the task.

Reply to
Mr. V

24mm is the same as 15/16". Just remeber that the spring needs to be compressed before you drop the strut out to change the upper mount. However it sounds to me as if the spring was improperly located the last time some one changed out the strut inserts.

Bob

Reply to
User