gas smell from trunk - '91 740, 190k

gotta get this old girl up to snuff, some friends are coming in.

we haven't driven this car for a while but the last time we did, we started to notice a gas smell in the cabin. It comes from the trunk area, and though it's been sitting a while, the odor hangs around the car like bad vibes. opening the trunk you get a big whiff...

where should I look first? I'm an experienced mechanic type but I don't know this car very well yet. I know there's some experience on this board. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

elijah

Reply to
elijahs

Toward the left rear of the trunk, under the carpet is the access plate to the fuel tank.

Remove the four phillips head screws which hold it down, lift it off and the bung plug to the tank, with hoses will be exposed.

Look there.

Reply to
Mr. V