master cylinder labor estimate

Hey. Just ordered a master cylinder online for $70 (shop wanted to sell me one for $170!). What's a reasonable estimate on labor costs, so I can keep the shop honest?

John

Reply to
rogadelic

Many shops will refuse to install a part from an outside supplier or will significantly mark up the labor if they do, part of their profit is on the sale of parts.

As for reasonable, I would expect it to be a couple hundred bucks depending on what car this is.

Reply to
James Sweet

cost about $105 Australian dollars so about 25% less in the USA Labour about

15 minutes to 20 minutes with coffee time thrown in .Its a very easy job .

Reply to
John Robertson

Well, I'd have happily paid a mark-up, but not a 140% mark-up. I like to support the local, but that's just insulting. Hopefully won't get gouged on the price.

The car's an 86 240 sedan.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
rogadelic

I replaced the master brake cylinder on my '89 240 a couple years ago. It was $24 at local AutoZone, job took about an hour or so. Bleeding the brakes by the manual probably took longer than that!

Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Perry Noid

Hello John:

Very tough question to answer without knowing the year and model of Volvo..and in which country and general area you reside.

Advise on that and I'll be better able to give an honest assesment if the shop is in the Northeast US or Canada.

If not I'll leave it to others.

Regards,

Doc

Reply to