A Question for the Group Please

I just bought a 92 Camery from my boss. 168K miles but well cared for and seems in good condition. There is a "thump" coming from the left rear end when I go over a bump. Boss told me that the dealer told him that it was a "bushing in the rear suspension" and not to worry about it. I've checked the struts and everything that I can reach and found nothing loose or obviously wrong. The dealer serviced the car and "was unable to replicate" the noise. Any ideas from you with experience with this car? Thanks for the help. CCC

Reply to
Colin C.Campbell

Anything loose in the trunk? My Camry spare was low on air and made noises like this.

Reply to
ROBMURR

spray the bushings with sicicone or replace them

Reply to
mark Ransley

Never buy a car from your boss.

Reply to
David Cutler

Try the rear upper strut mount. This is a common problem. This is the bearing plate that the strut mounts into. You have to remove the strut to gain access to the strut mount. While ding I would replace the struts as well. Use Monroe Sensormatics as Gabriel just does not cut the mustard and get a genuine replacement part for the mount from your Toyota Dealer. Otherwise, you will have trouble getting it to fit.

I have a 91 that was doing the same thing. I put in Gabriel Struts myself and had a non-toyota Upper Strut Mount, which I had to return for a genuine Toyota part. After driving on the Gabriels for 15,000 miles I replaced the Gabriels with Monroe Sensormatics as they just to cut it I have had the Monroes Sensormatics going on 40,000 miles and am quite pleased with there performance.

A good mechanic can place the car on a lift and through the coil can test your upper strut mount.

Regards,

Howard Epstein

David Cutler wrote:

Reply to
Howard Epstein

Often, thumping sounds are due to the worn-out strut-guts bottoming on bumps.

Jason

Reply to
Jason