Glove Compartment Door Rattle

Needless to say this car is driving me nuts. Anybody know the way to tighten up the glove compartment door...03 XC70? Thanks in Advance. The rattling while driving the prehistoric Las Vegas streets and going over railroad tracks. It's also a little uneven, meaning more of a gap on the driver's end than on the other. Currently, I have a wadded-up paper towel between the door and the inner compartment liner. I'm sure that it involves removing the lower panel under the dash. I'm just wondering if the screw holes are slotted to allow for some kind of fore and aft movement. Once again, thanks.

Something similar happened on my 02 XC70 about two year ago - I would notice the glove compartment rattle just when stopped at lights or idling. I had it in the shop for routine service and I mentioned it to them. They ended up winding some tape around the rectangular metal piece the glove compartment latch hooks onto. That little bit gave the latch just enough extra to hold onto. I have not noticed it rattling since.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
dcdjason

I suppose this could also be fixed by a couple of pieces of thin weatherstripping placed on either side of the latch. The self- adhesive foam stuff for house doors should work fine.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Oh...HEY! That's interesting. I'll give that a try until I can get around to dismantling the interior of the car. By the by...what did they end up charging you for the tape, about $60.00 and inch? Of course It's gotta be Volvo tape. I wonder what the part number is? No, but seriously, I'm going to try it in about fifteen minutes. Thankyou.

Another good idea, I just might end up doing both, although I'm still kind of wanting to fix the "low" end of the door. I thought of trying to just bend it up but I'd probably just end up snapping the whole door off! I thought of trying to actually bend that little wire loop that catches the latch but I'd probably end snapping that off too. To replace it you'd probably end up having to rip out the whole dash, just like with an evaproator replacement. I have some of that weatherstripping that is that type that's actually hollow and self sticking. Makes a great, air-tight seal around doors...just what I need if I happen to have a corned beef on rye in there with a nice stinky pickle. Two pretty darned good ideas, actually. Thanks, you two. I'll keep you posted.