2001 S4 glove compartment

I have a 2001 S4. The plastic handle to the glove compartment broke. I can reach in and pull the little metal thing to open the compartment, but it's ugly and it doesn't lock. A mechanic says Audi wants over $500 for a replacement because they only sell the whole drawer, not a separate handle+latch assembly. He suggested I visit a junkyard.

Is there a cheaper source or way to fix this?

If I take the junk yard route, what models and model years use a compatible glove box drawer?

At least I know now that the lock won't stop anybody willing to use a little muscle power.

Reply to
John F. Carr

Unlikely to find a cheaper solution than the junkyard.

I'd think most any B5 A4/S4 glove box door would fit. I don't see anything "S4" specific about the door on mine.

Well, you actually knew that all along, didn't you?

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

I thought breaking in would require a tool instead of a hard pull.

Reply to
John F. Carr

You could try these guys, they're very helpful.

Large selection.

Is there a cheaper source or way to fix this?

If I take the junk yard route, what models and model years use a compatible glove box drawer?

At least I know now that the lock won't stop anybody willing to use a little muscle power.

Reply to
Archangel

They haven't gotten much better! I am on my third glovebox latch (fortunately under warranty)...

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

What are you guys doing in the glove compartment all the time, hiding your parking tickets ? :-)

I cant remember when I had mine opened last time!

/Jens

Reply to
Jens

I was putting the radar detector in there when I parked in the city.

Reply to
John F. Carr