Heated seat 740

I never use the heated seats on my 1988 740 Estate. My wife put the passengers heated seat on the other night and very soon we had a smell of burning and a small burn hole in the seat. I quickly switched the seat off and left it. I have had a look at the back of the switch today and find the joints are soldered, it was my intention to pull off one of the connectors if they were connectors and just leave it as I don't use the car that much and plan to scrap it in about 16 months time. As I am no linger going to use the heated seat what is the safest way to stop the supply to the seat, Would it be the switch or under the seat, I see that the fuse is linked other units so cannot just pull out a fuse.

Reply to
Andy Mann

The simplest thing is to cut the wire near the 'load' side of the switch (the wire going to the seat) & protect the cut end on the switch side from touching anything else. A 'wire nut' or crimp-type insulated cap is best; there aren't many tapes that will stay on there reliably.

Cutting the load side means you've got 2 lines of defense: the switch itself & the cap over the end of the wire if the switch is turned on by accident.

The 'best' way is to cut the wire at the fuse block, but often it isn't practical to find the wire, or it may supply other things in addition to the seat heater.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Follow the wires just a little bit more you will find a connector for the switch just disconnect the connector should take no more then 10 minutes top to perform this action if any more then you are looking to hard Glenn ASE Certified Automotive Technician Volvo Master Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Reply to
Andy Mann

Remove ashtray assembly remove a small clip from between the front of the center console remove the two screws that hold down the piece of plastic then you will see the connectors if you are still having a hard time finding them post back tonight & I will print out the page that shows where you can find the connectors on 03/03/05 & post later in the evening if needed Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein