Heated seat problem

Hello all. I recently purchased a 93 960 wagon and I must say that I am quite pleased so far with my "new" brick. That being said I have a problem that I hope you in the group can help me with. Everything works great in the car except for the heated leather seats. Strange thing is that the lights for the switches do not even come on when clicked into the on position. I have checked all of the fuses listed that control the heated seats and they are all fine. I could understand if one of the switches didnt light up but neither of them do. Is there a central relay or anything of the sort that controls both of the seats? What other things should I check myself before I break down and take it in to the dealer to investigate. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wildcat

Your problem lies before the switches or is due to the common ground point (handbrake support). There is a relay controlled by fuse 9 which controls the supply to fuse 23 and the switches. It is possible that the relay is not seated correctly which would show as your window lifts not working, but is more likely duff relay contacts. However I would go for the ground point being loose.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

I find that if I snap the switch on and off several times in my 94 940 S/W the light comes on and a few moments later perhaps the most sublime automotive luxury besides A/C, heated seats is making me smile. YMMV!

One of these days I will buy an new switch!

Reply to
Steve

Peter, Thanks for the reply. Windows are working fine so how do I go about accessing the handbrake support ground point? Is it located under the console, behind the dash?, etc? Thanks again

Reply to
Wildcat

Or take the old one apart and clean it. You do need to be careful to do it in a clean well lighted area and keep track of where all the bits and pieces go but you should be able to get several more years out of it.

Reply to
James Sweet

It is usually located at the base of the handbrake where bolts hold it to a support on the floor.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks for the hint, James. I have to do that to my wife's 850 windows control too. 'Yeah, we put the power window controls just under the cup holder because it helps general ergonomic efficiency ...RIGHT!

Reply to
Steve