horn problems - Achilles Heel

I have a 1993 460 GL 2.0. The horn occasionally works, giving out a very weak "bleep", which causes people to laugh and flip me off rather than getting the hell outta the way. Because I do not have a garage, I regard this as a spring project as I think the horn is located just above the engine splash guard and I don't feel like dealing with it in shitty weather. I suspect the wiring is screwed.

My question is:

Have any of you had horn problems with your Volvo? What was the cause? Is this... Volvo's Achilles Heel?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon
440, 2 horns just put the car on ramps and disconnected one and the other is better. prob rust & earth problem. Putting my proper sorting out job too. maybe get a cheap horn from local car shop.
Reply to
BertBassett

I don't know about "Achilles heel" but it certainly is an obvious design error, like they only realized at the last minute that they didn't make room for the horn... my 240 horn is nicely tucked away but the horn in my new 760 is under the front bumper on the driver's side and COMPLETELY unprotected from the elements. Of course it's corroded all to crap and doesn't work at all. I'm just waiting until I hit a slightly deeper snowbank and rip the thing clean off!

blurp ps. I'd say the true Achilles heel is trying to make everything powered. Every button in my 240 works but in the 760 the power windows are dodgy, the power sunroof is dead, the power seats are hit-and-miss, power antenna is stuck, etc.. Give me manual seats and sunroof any day!

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:26:57 GMT, the illustrious "Jon" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

Reply to
Rob Guenther

rob...what year is yur 960 again? is a wagon, or sedan?...wagon is aka a saloon, right? no probelms w/my horn or any electrics on my 93 940t / 240k miles

Reply to
richbonilla

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Well the 760 is an '88 so you fellas will have to wait 5 years for it all to go down the crapper :)

blurp

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:48:48 -0500, the illustrious "Rob Guenther" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

yea...you have a few years on our mdls...but, just do a junkyard swap, or dbl check the wiring...get a good, solid ground , the hot wire is probabally not a issue.....do some parts corrode at different rates...like on some boats?...dosen't corrosion have to do w/electrical trickles, or charges?...lucku for me, here in co we are mostly dry, no salt, just the new "mag cholerene" (sp?) they put down on real slick days...

Reply to
richbonilla

Reply to
Rob Guenther

"Rob Guenther" skrev i meddelandet news:or3ud.48476$l% snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Yeah :) When you honk your horn, you usually do it because SOMEBODY ELSE is doing something terribly wrong, and you want them to know that they are in fault. An air horn would do the job nicely.

Reply to
Jon

Reply to
Rob Guenther

In a motorcycle safety class I took years ago they strongly suggested that you not make such a modification, at least to a motorcycle. People hear that and start looking for the big truck instead of you.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

I'll rig it to flash the highbeams at the same time then.... Ohh would I love a setup like that - not quite the most expected thing to see on a lumbering old Volvo wagon, and many would label me as an asshole (which is why I don't think i'd ever bother doing it, stick to imagining for now) but it'd be pretty awesome.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's illegal here, I got pulled over in high school for just such a setup. No ticket though because the cop had to run off to another call.

I like your flashing lights and horn idea.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Reply to
Rob Guenther