Hot air from S70 A/C

Help! One day my wife's '98 S70's A/C was fine, the next day, blowing hot air. Climate Control fuse is OK. I jumpered the A/C relay, and the compressor clutch engages, and the compressor runs. With engine running and AC on, did not get 12V at the AC relay terminals. Has anyone else experienced this? The car only has 70,000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
bill

Was this at startup or after running for some time? If the latter, then it is probably icing of the coils. If you turn the A/C off for 5-10 minutes with the air blowing, the coils will defrost amd the A/C should run again. Set the cabin air on recycle when the A/C is on.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

When the compressor started, was there any cooling?

There is a pressure switch that reports the refrigerant pressure in the high side to the fuel injection ECU. Assuming the pressure is not too high, the coolant temperature is not too high (or unknown as would happen if your thermostat is defective), and that you actually want the A/C on, then the A/C will be switched on by the fuel injection ECU through the low pressure switch. If the refrigerant has leaked out, then the A/C will not come on because of this switch. The low pressure switch is located near the firewall on the passenger side. You can short the wires together connected to this switch to see if there is refrigerant present.

Reply to
Mike F

On 10/7/04 12:06 PM, in article 0bIHc.2775$hi.953@lakeread03, "bill" decided to come out from under the bed and slurred:

How hot was it outside?

I've had our S70 do that on 40 C + days.

Hammo

Reply to
Hamish Alker-Jones

I have the same problem with my 2000 S70. Intermitantly the AC will start blowing warm air. It may go for several weeks between problems. The dealer has recharged the coolant and added dye. A few weeks later the problem surfaced again. The dealer confirmed there were no leaks and that the coolant level was fine. They replaced the pressure switch and on the way home from the dealer, it started blowing warm air again. I don't know where to go from here. I have already spent over $250 for repairs and still have the problem.

Reply to
stdowney

Note that the auto trans version has much reduced torque output compared to the manual trans version because the trans can't handle it. So the magazine performance numbers will almost always be from the manual version.

Reply to
Mike F