How much do you think I'd get?

Hi all,

My trusty 1990 740 2ltr estate is now at a point where I can't justify the replacement of the exhaust (entire system) and, I suspect, the front bushes.

The car is in reasonable condition. The exterior has a few scratches and bumps, the interior is in a very good state with only some wear on the drivers seat.

The speedo packed up ages ago and I never got round to sorting it out. Also, when I rev above 3500rpm the idle speed raises to just over 1000rpm (I'm told it could just need a throttle switch clean).

Given the above, how much do you think I'd get for it on eBay. (I'm in the UK).

Please let me know if you need any further info or if your interested in the car itself (car based just outside Portsmouth).

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
Ricardo

I am curious as to why you think it is not justified. A 7 series Volvo IMO is almost always worth maintaining. Do not fool yourself by comparing repair cost with value, a replacement car is likely to be much more expensive and contain unknown risks.

If its just the system you need, I would certainly spend the money and buy the Volvo parts.

Sounds worth keeping to me. Only badly damaged bodywork and extreme mechanical problems make these cars unservicable.

Sounds more like you havn't maintained it and made necessary repairs, they have thus accumulated and left you unsatisfied with the car.

Probably nothing if you're honest about the faults.

Scrap metal is worth something these days, if you want rid of it then driving it to the scrap yard is probably the most economonal and easy route for you, you might even get a few quid for it.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

I'm having more trouble with the interior on our 85 765T. Much of the interior plastic has cracked into shards, possibly because it spent 15 years in Phoenix. Even the glovebox has broken out of it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for your comments, Tony.

Much appreciated

Richard

Reply to
Ricardo

Yes I've been to Pheonix, its warmish there isn't it. Plastic does degrade with time/heat/UV even in the UK.

But this was a UK poster, much less extreme conditions. Volvos are better with cold/damp than heat.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

Probably because they are (or were, pre-Ford!) designed to work best in Sweden!

Reply to
Roger Mills

If what I've heard about car values in the UK is true, you might as well just give it away. Over here in the US you could probably expect to get $500-$1000 for it in that condition.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James,

It's on eBay (with a very honest description) and has already reached £100.

That's £100 more than I was expecting.

Rich

Reply to
Ricardo