V70 stuck in park and won't turn on

Hi

I have had my V70 2002 for only one week. bought from very reputable dealer with flawless service history. Drove it fine this morning then parked in the driveway. Went to put the car away in the garage and it will not start. All the dash lights go on (no battery problem) but will not turn past the 1 position to ignition. Also the auto shift will not budge out of park either. Have tried everything i can think of and my husband too including trying the other keys, turning on and off, locking and unlocking the car, depressing brake pedal etc but no luck.

the brake lights are working.

When you try to turn it on there is a slight clock/click noise coming from the gearbox which you can also feel when you have your hand on the shift lever

if you press brake pedal down in position 1 you can replicate the noise. if you press the brake pedal down and then try to turn on there is no noise at all, but still can't shift out of park or turn on.

really stuck - no way to move car from the driveway, it's 30th December so no mechanics open, and our nearest Volvo dealer is an hour's drive away over a mountain. Does anyone have any idea what could cause it??? Please help

Shel

Reply to
Pete & Shel

Dont you think you just have activated the steering wheel lock. If its binding, pull steering wheel left / right while turning key.

Greetings Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

We had this problem too with our 98 V70. It was a fault in the key lock system and was fixed for not too much money. Niels advice worked for a while but it eventually got worse and worse. Maybe the previous owner had done this for a while now it is really in need of fixing.

Niels Bengaard wrote:

Reply to
Inno

HI and thanks for the reply. Fingers crossed it will not be too difficult to fix. there is no problem with the steering lock though. happy new year everyone! :-)

Reply to
Pete & Shel

Our s80 had a similar problem, but it turned out to be the key cylinder. I didn't think the mechanic was right (CarMax) because they'd just worked on the steering column. They ended up CUTTING the cylinder off and putting a new one on. It did solve the problem, but I'm still not convinced they didn't do something else (we had a CarMax warranty that wasn't worth *hit and they never could fix anything (always got sent to Volvo dealer instead) ... CarMax lied about certain repairs (technician told different story than Service Mgr).

Somebody suggested we try locking and unlocking the vehicle with different keys because of a theft protection mechanism.

Good luck.

Bill in Charlotte

- Charlotte MLS
- Charlotte and adjacent county foreclosures
- Charlotte finest homes

Pete & Shel wrote:

Reply to
Bill from www.rlstate.com

Hi Bill thanks for the reply. We are coming to the conclusion that it is definitely something to do with the ignition lock. we found a post from someone with an S60 in July who described our problem almost to the word and the ignition lock mechanism had to be replaced (ironically they also got stuck on a holiday close down period too!). We've tried all three keys but to no avail. hopefully will not be too hard to fix once it goes to Volvo tomorrow. I will post back the solution once it's repaired. Thanks, S.

Reply to
Pete & Shel

If it is the lock cylinder mechanism that needs replaced, be prepared for a wait (or hope you qualify for a loaner car). The dealer will have to order the mechanism from Volvo. They are cut to order per your car's key code at a vendor located in Germany (not kidding).

Reply to
Reed

Yes, that was our experience, too. The wait was at least a week.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill from www.rlstate.com

Well it seems that in the Antipodes we can, unfortunately, beat that. The word today from the Volvo technician is that our problem is indeed that the ingition barrel/tumblers (whatever!) has failed. The replacement, calibrated to our keys, will be 3-4 weeks ex the factory in Sweden. Needless to say, a depressing beginning to our Volvo ownership experience. Our forthcoming holiday has now been cancelled and will be unable to be refunded. Despite this we are desperately trying to be Pollyanna-ish about the whole thing and think optimistically that this will be the only major problem we have with the V70. But incredibly frustrating after only 45,000 kilometres to have such an incredibly incapacitating failure of a part which then takes so long to repair.

Reply to
Pete & Shel

couldn't you use a lock from a wrecked car and put up with two different keys for a few weeks?

Reply to
M-gineering

Afraid that isn't an option. :-(

Reply to
Pete & Shel

What were the vacation plans? Can you sell or trade out of them (i.e. eBay)?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill from www.rlstate.com

The faster option is accepting new keys, why bother with the old ones? New keyset is often in stock at the dealer og delivered from day to day.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Why don't they give you one from a junker to use for 4 weeks.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but unfortunately holiday is non-refundable and non-transferrable, just one of those things. the insurance people will not go for new keys/lock as opposed to new lock coded to our existing keys, and the service people are not obliged to provide us with a loan car - we didn't buy through them, and they usually just do day to day stuff. Actually we do have an aging Land Rover - so we aren't completely carless, just not in a position to drive it 1000 km in the middle of summer over a few mountains. frustrating but not much we can do. guess it's skiing in July instead!!!

Thanks everyone who has offered suggestions and help. :-)

Reply to
Pete & Shel