How to change my Overdrive Solenoid

I have a 1982 volvo 240 turbo, and my overdrive soleniod went out. I changed the relay, and that didn't work. Does anyone know how to change the soleniod? Thanks

Reply to
jjmoss77

Depends, is the car an automatic or manual?

I've never seen a solenoid fail except for one that was leaking. Make sure you check all the wiring first, that's far more common to break.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm assuming this is a manual transmission with the Laycock OD unit. Check the OD switch and wiring running down the shifter.

Reply to
Roadie

Disconect the wires and unscrew it from the overdrive case. Although the elctronics rarely fail, if you have never changed the transmission fluid it could be sticking.

Reply to
Simon Page

There is good info about this proceedure and also replacement parts (and a nifty over-ride plate) at IPD. Link =

nobodys