I love my 360

I am in termoil..my family are constantly badgering me to get rid of my 360GLT (87 model) which is currently residing in my garage.I have had
it since 89 and we have grown old together. Admittedly I haven't been able to drive it for the past few years as the steering is too heavy for me now but I am reluctant to be parted from it. How feasible is it to have power steering fitted? Anyone have an idea of costs? Or should I put a brave face on it and sell it? Help please!
domino wrote:

It is certainly feasible. Getting the parts might be more difficult.
I have part of a power steering kit that I pulled out of an 89 360 GLE car that had to be scrapped due to chassis damage last year (lost the reg with it too, due to no MOT when it was stolen...FXI 360..bastards). I have the rack, pump, tank and mounting bits with all the unions still together (never taken apart except to replace the rack with a recon unit, so the rack is new also), but I didn't have time to get the steering column which is also different to the 87 360 GLE car I have in the garage.
I think the parts are worth 100, the steering column would be about 30. Fitting would take about 4-6 hours I guess if all the parts are there, say 150 for a reasonable garage. So guts of 300.
I'm not sure I want to part with the kit and I'm in N.Ireland so collecting the stuff might be difficult and there are no 360s in local scrap yards (for the column), never mind ones with PS. In England you might a better chance, but again it is only 89 cars that have it.
-- Tony
domino wrote:

Before you try power steering, try a narrow, all-season tread tire on the front, inflated to near the maximum. I own a 1986 Si that I bought new, and the car - which also lacks power steering - is very sensitive to what kind of tire it has on the front. I'm currently using all-seasons on all four wheels that, while a size larger than OEM, don't put all the tread in contact with the road except when cornering. The steering isn't *quite* as good as it was with performance tires, but it's very light, and fuel economy is also higher.
domino wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I shall enquire about the tyres - sounds interesting - although just before I tucked the car away in the garage, I had replaced the tyres. My family couldn't believe I am actually dealing with this situation at last! My head tells me to sell and get a new/newer car but then I think of how many years we have been together, how wonderful a drive it has..... and then my resolve just disappears. Oh well... ....
domino wrote:

If you have new tires, try inflating them to about 5% below the *maximum* inflation pressure that is printed on them. Use an accurate guage to do this! This should lower steering effort somewhat, and improve fuel aconomy. It will also make the ride a bit more harsh, especially if you do it with all four tires.