How to sell a Land Rover?

I have a Land Rover, Lightweight, and various surplus bits and pieces.

What are the pros and cons of the various options for selling them? Bear in mind that I live in a rural area, and I'm reluctant to spend time and money on a long trip which doesn't get the vehicle sold.

If geography is significant, I'm close to the eastern end of the M180. I doubt it's going to be worth talking to a dealer in Cornwall.

Reply to
David G. Bell

snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk ("David G. Bell") wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zhochaka.demon.co.uk:

Advertise widely. I know distance wasn't much of a problem when I wanted another vehicle, nor to my friends. Only we did waste an awful lot of time and fuel going to see things that were badly described. I'd suggest making full use of Internet technology -- accurate descriptions with LOTS of pictures! But don't neglect the local free ads paper, nor indeed the local rag. Oh, and don't travel to meet people unless you are going that way anyway, they will just take it as a sign that you are desperate.

And distance need not be such a deterrent these days. I recently travelled to Newcastle-upon-Tyne from Inverness to collect goods, then came back on the next train. £23 return for the 700 mile (?) trip!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I'd go with that. I recently bought a disco from a seller in Norwich, I'm in the North of Scotland. In our case, we spoke many times on the phone then came to a mutual agreement to meet half-way, with me agreeing to cover the fuel costs for him bringing it up plus his return journey. Saved me a very long day so I was happy with the arrangement. Honesty in description is absolutely paramount though. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I can stick a page of photos and info on

if you like, free gratis.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I go along with that wholeheartedly (did I spell that right... never mind).

When me and bruv broke up his Rangie, we had people coming from far and wide, one even drove from Cardiff to Northants just to buy the Std Alloy wheels... All but about 7-8 parts had sold within 5-6 weeks with only ONE buyer being local... Correction, 2, Rockingham Landrovers had the engine, the other bloke got the spotless tailegate.

Also, Landrovers I've sold, of 3 only one went locally, and that was back to Rocky Landys in P/Ex for my current one, the others all sold to long distance buyers...

And I bought one that was about 200 miles from me, making a special trip to view it, then another to pick it up.

I also sell LOADS of cr*p on Ebay, and have had people driving over from MILES away to collect thier wins.

Try Ebay, but also advertise it all over the place, add it to the LROI and other for sale boards, but if you also put it on Ebay, say that you have it advertised elsewhere and reserve the right to close the auction at any time.

Reply to
4x4 Me

"4x4 Me" wrote in news:J_Yue.2622$% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

One more thought, even though I advertised my last LR widely, it sold locally. But the fact that I had adverts everywhere definitely prompted the local guy to get his act together and not bother haggling too much!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Umm I am myself looking for a lightweight ....... I currently have a 89 200tdi 90 which I want to get rid of, and get a good lightweight as my "toy"

Let me know the details and what you are after ......

dg snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

:)

Reply to
me

This is a quick, approximate, by-memory, outline. Dates an other specifics need checking.

Built 1976, fitted by the Army with a new chassis and reconditioned engine in the late 90s (I'm not sure if the date stencilled on the engine in '96 or '98). 12v utility version with an FFR-style rag top.

Was used as a low-milage farm vehicle 2000-2003, not much serious off- road activity.

Fitted with a hard-top and has some pretty new, big, mud/snow tyres on new wheels, with wheel-arch extensions.

The old tilt and frame, bench-seat frames, tailgate, and wheels are also available. The tyres on the wheels are just about knackered.

I'm not sure of pricing yet.

Downside, I suspect there's a leak in the LH petrol tank, and it maybe needs a new LH-front brake cylinder.

Reply to
David G. Bell