Idle rpm too high

I have an '83 240 wagon, and I need to get it through emissions, but they won't test it because it's idling at around 1250, and I need to get it down to 1100. Could anyone help me out with this? I have very little working knowledge, but would like to attempt this myself, if it's easy enough.

Reply to
althepostman

Look for vacuum leaks. Change the air filter if you haven't already.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

It should be idling at 750, something is definitely wrong. Vacuum leak, timing too far advanced, throttle linkage adjusted wrong, etc. If it started doing it on its own, something has broken and needs to be fixed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Perhaps the Idle Air Control is malfunctioning?

Test it by pinching off one of the two rubber air hoses that attach to it, and see what difference it makes in the idle.

If there is no change, suspect the part needs to be cleaned with carb cleaner, or replaced.

Reply to
Mr. V