My '92 240 is getting kindy clunky...

Which is really too bad, because I both love it and didn't really want to spend money on it right now ! But I want to keep it going... in six years when my oldes starts to drive, it'll be perfect: a 20-year-old tank with 200K miles!

It fees and sounds like it's in the front end. Going over any kind of sharp bump there wil be a clank or clonk or even clunk (!) that seems to be sort of in front of my left foot somewhere. I'm guessing I have soem sort of worn out or broken strut or bushing. Is there something that just sort of generally needs doing to the front end at 140K miles? Roughly how much should I expect to spend?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

There are several possibilities. You might have to replace some bushings (relatively inexpensive) which is common, they are just rubber after all. Or you might need new struts (moderately expensive) and/or new strut mounts. My guess would be bushings since those are the least durable component. Of course, there could also be sometihg broken, you could need new ball-ends, etc. There are a lot of moving suspension components in the front end.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Sounds like a ball joint is worth a check.

Reply to
jr

First thing to check is the nut at the top of the strut tube that holds the cartridge in, just reach through the spring and lift up the rubber boot, crank the nut down a bit with a large pair of vice grips.

Reply to
James Sweet

Tighten up the bushing (18mm wrench) and the bracket (3 screws, 14mm wrench) at the rear of the lower control arm. While you're there tighten the other side, and the lower mounting bolts to the sway bar drop links.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz

In addition to possibilities listed below are the cap nut located midway up the strut assembly, and the subframe bolts. IPD published a couple articles on all the clunks, knocks, grunts and groans common to

240s, along with the likely culprits. Might be available on the web site.

Jeff Olsen wrote:

Reply to
wstehlin