Inspected my blower motor -- ARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

OK, I have to stop believing that just because someone in this forum writes "it's a piece of cake", that this is true.

Just having 4 screws does not make a piece of cake, when your fingers have to be the size of a 5 year old's, and you have to be a contortionist [sp?].

My blower motor was making a little noise so I thought I'd pull it and look at it. The good thing is that it is only a $15 part at Auto Zone, and yes, my 1987 740 does cross-reference with a 1987 Chevy celebrity

-- so blasted be the $80 blower motors.

Anywho, I got it off enough to see the cage was clean and I was still missing a screw, because it wasn't coming completely off. Not wanting to extend the agony, I re-installed the motor and will probably tackle this another day.

Reply to
Jamie

Hi Jamie, Is it really that dificult? Mine has been making a lot of racket for a while now, but I've been putting it off due to $80 parts. Is it really the same as a celebrity part? Could it be that I could get by without enlisting the quite pricey help of IPD?

Reply to
Zeke

Howdy Zeke, I found a post here from a few years back saying that the motors of the Volvo and Chevy were the same. So, I went to AutoZone's website and their price quote was: SIEMENS PM122-1 LLT $29.99

The actual motor for the celebrity was a bit different $14.99. I don't know exactly where the person who posted that actually went at that time, I just chose AutoZone for the heck of it, but the $30 price is still pretty good.

The job isn't hard, I was just expecting to pull the cover off, undo 4 screws and have the whole project done in 10 minutes.

Know that I know some of the screws are hard to reach, I'll be prepared next time.

Also, if you have a 740/760, the kick panel on my car slides to the rear after you unscrew the bottom trim. There is an electrical control unit under there that makes removing the blower motor a bit difficult. Also, there is a seal that probably should be replaced when you swap motors.

G'luck!

PS: My mechanic has my Hayne's manual, so that's most of my problem - going by memory.

Reply to
Jamie

For some reason today when I cross-referenced the Volvo and Chevy motors, they both priced at $14.99. I may have made an error by saying they were exactly the same. I will check to see what happened

Reply to
Jamie

That's your fuel injection computer. Leave it plugged in and undo the screws holding it and the bracket in place. Pull aside. Makes the job MUCH easier.

Bob

Reply to
User

Just a matter of having the right tool for the job, seems like it was pretty easy with whatever combination of sockets and extensions I had.

Try doing it on a 240 some day and you'll know why people say it's easy on a 700.

Reply to
James Sweet