Need your valuable feedback! I'm looking for the new V50.

Hi, For this spring/summer I plan to buy a new car which has to comply with some requirements. The V50 is looking very appealing and is satisfying into a larger extent my demands, but I have never owned/drive a Volvo (doesn't matter which model). First of all, I have chosen this one because I need to be somewhat of a family car, safe but in the same time not to compromise in the driving pleasure/performance/design. Therefore, your input/feedback regarding Volvo in general and V40/V70 in particular will be highly appreciated. I currently own a 2002 Audi A3 1.9TDI (130 bhp) which is a great car in my opinion but now my family increased from 2 to 3 and we need a larger car. But anyhow we will keep the A3 as well, which is going to be my wife's car. The V50 is my first choice and I intend to go for the diesel engine the 2.0D (136 bhp). Do you think that this is a good choice, based on your experience with Volvo? Many thanks in advance

Reply to
Bogdi

The V50 is based on the Ford Focus chassis as is the new S40. This is a rather good chassis and the diesel engine is a Ford unit (I think it is a "Duratorque"). On the whole a very nice little Volvo and it is a bit bigger than the S/V40 that it replaces, which was a Mitsubishi based vehicle.

The V70 comes in two versions the earlier is 850 based and the later is S60 based and much nicer. The later V70 also has the Volvo D5 diesel engine (163 bhp in UK). This engine gives the V70 quite startling performance.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

That's new-Ford Focus (not sold in North America, at least not now)... And from what I have gathered Ford designed mainly the suspension, Volvo the main frame, and Mazda worked on how to build it efficiently, and what techniques to use.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Gee, some people say the Ford Focus is based on the Volvo chasis. What is true is they share the same chassis.

Or was the Mitsubishi a Volvo based vehicle. What can be said is that they shared the same chassis and even shared the same factory. However it was a Volvo factory.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

It was actually a DAF factory if you wish to be pedantic, however your sentiments are OK re the new S40/V50. It is really a matter of chicken or egg but the earlier versions were Volvo adapted design based on the Mitsubishi Carisma, whereas the later ones are based on the Ford Focus which was around for two or three years before the Volvo.

Cheers, Peter.

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.west.earthlink.net... : "Peter Milnes" wrote: : : > The V50 is based on the Ford Focus chassis as is the new S40. : : Gee, some people say the Ford Focus is based on the Volvo chasis. What : is true is they share the same chassis. : : > On the whole a very nice little Volvo and it is a bit bigger than : > the S/V40 that it replaces, which was a Mitsubishi based vehicle. : : Or was the Mitsubishi a Volvo based vehicle. What can be said is that : they shared the same chassis and even shared the same factory. However : it was a Volvo factory. : : -- : Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net : Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA : Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '02 Volvos. : The '67,'74,'79,'87,'95 and '02 through European Delivery. :

Peter Milnes

Being more pendantic: The S/V40 were never built in a DAF factory. The Volvo BV plant came into Volvo ownership when the company acquired a 75% stake in DAF's car division. Volvo had started negotiations with DAF as early as 1969, and gained its controlling interest after a series of financial moves. In 1976, DAF's four-cylinder Variomatic-transmission 66 model became a Volvo, heralding the introduction of the rather mundane

340 series. By 1981, the Dutch government had invested sufficient capital in the company to reduce Volvo's stake to a 30% share.

The Volvo 480ES, introduced in 1986, was a front-drive hatchback which was conceptually rather similar to the P1800 ES. The 480 used a 1.7 Renault engine, and was built in the Netherlands at the Volvo BV plant.

In 1988 Volvo introduced the Volvo 440 - an important new model in the intermediate class and developed by Volvo Car B.V. in Holland. Its roadholding and safety in particular were acclaimed by the press, as was the generous amount of space inside the car.

In 1995 Volvo unveiled a completely new vehicle family while stepping up development efforts on new products. The compact Volvo S40/V40 - the first cars to emerge from the joint venture with Mitsubishi - were presented during the year. The Volvo S40, a four-door sedan, was shown for the first time at the Frankfurt Show in September, while the Volvo V40, a versatile and practical five-door touring car, was put on display in Bologna towards the end of the year. The Mitsubishi Carisma had already been unveiled earlier in the year. Volvo and Mitsubishi were now building completely different car models at the Born Plant, using the same production equipment.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Great car. Very reliable if it is as much as the earlier models. I have always privatly driven volvo's.

If you want a diesel for the low costs, considder buying a car on LPG. Cleaner, even a lot cheaper, very durable, due to clean engine. My 740 parted from me at 850.000+ km's, only to be traded in for my V70 classic

"Bogdi" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
El Mecky

Reply to