Opinions on the 2005 WRX (not sti)

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a new car. I am looking at the new volvo S40 (AWD T5 version), the SAAB 92X (Turbo AWD version) and the Subaru WRX (not sti). From my research all 3 cars appeal to me and are up my budget. I have heard that the SAAB is merely a Subaru WRX engine with a SAAB body - is that true? Out of all 3.....the Volvo appeals to me the most......but with the options i want (like moonroof etc)......the price is going over my budget.

I have also never owned a Subaru and so I am interested to hear opinions/concerns about its reliability etc. I generally tend to keep cars for at least about 6-7 years.......My current Honda has about 120K miles and is 7 years old and has served me really well with respect to realibility. So my 2 main factors are I want a car thats fun to drive (I think all 3 above models would be fun to drive) but at the same time gives me the reliability i want.

Just wanted to get opinions from die hard Subie fans on what i can expect by owning a WRX for about 6-7 years.

Thanks, Pumba

Reply to
Pumba

"Pumba" wrote in news:Sx4nd.11120$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.dllstx.us.to.verio.net:

The Saab 92-X is a rebadged Subaru Impreza and is assembled in the same Japanese plant as the Subaru. The only differences are in trim, color, options and the front and rear bumpers/liftgate. The 9-2X Aero is the equivalent to the WRX and the 9-2X Linear is the base Impreza.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

Hi Pumba,

The Volvo and the SAAB are great motors but if you really enjoy your driving, get the Subaru. Japanese reliability is second to none, the awesome performance and handling will never be matched by the Nordic pretenders. Test drive one for a day.

Wyn.

Reply to
Wyn Roberts

Our '03 WRX is great, but also consider the new Legacy. It would be more comparable to the S40.

Reply to
BSackamano

I've never driven the S40, but other Volvo's have seemed a bit stiff to me, and I don't mean just the springs. Not my cuppa tea! The Saab is a Subie with a bit more upmarket trim and interior bits. If it's worth the extra price over the WRX depends on the value you place on the upgraded bits. I've got a 2005 and a 1998 Subie, the interior of the 2005 is vastly better designed, but not up to the standards of my old Audi.

But, once you're at the price of the Saab, the STi is just around the corner. Ahhh, sweet temptation (but no moonroof)!

As for reliability, I drive my cars till they drop and the Subies have been very reliable. Much better than my Audi, in fact.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

Reply to
JaySee

You also lose the roof rails in the Saab vs WRX Wagon. The WRX Wagon is by far the better value. The Saab also has a softer suspension.

Reply to
JaySee