Just Bought a '96 960 Wagon...

I'm happy, but... Has anybody found a good alternative/replacement for the cup holders? geotek

Reply to
geotek

If I get a coffee with our 1993 960 i'll either ask for the 4-coffee tray, or just hold the coffee with one hand and drive with the other (I know... this is not safe, but sometimes I forget to ask for a tray since my other car has cupholders, so I'm not in the habit anymore... our old 91 Golf didn't have holders either, so it was 2nd nature to ask for a tray)

I generally try to avoid coffee in the car tho (i'll have one when I get to work) but on long trips it's nice.

Do the 96's have "cupholders", our 93 has these little depressions on the door for the glove compartment, they're not even round or anything, but I guess you could set a coffee down in one - i'd be scared to corner at above

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Here's what I did in my 96 960 wagon. Purchased two of the low profile flip down cupholders that are listed on ebay by several persons. I paid about $ 10.00 each. They can be mounted on any flat vertical surface with screws. Several folks on the brickboard website have used them. I did not want to use screws as to not permanently marr my console so I used Velcro (actually 3M hook/pile, heavy duty, indo and outdoor fastener tape). It's rated to hold 10 lbs. I mounted them on the center console just infrom of the inside portion of the front seat. Ensure you place them where they are usable (too far back on the console and you can't use them with the seat forward). They work great. They are close to OEM color and are very sturdy. If you send your email, I can send you some pics.

Reply to
powellwd3

It goes without saying that they should be mounted where you cannot reach them when driving as a matter of safety. Cup holders should ONLY be used when stationary to hold cups with drink in them.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

That's silly, what use are cupholders if you can't reach them? Is it really that distracting to sip a drink at stoplights or on the freeway? I've never had an issue with it, but then I don't try to jabber on the phone at the same time.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'd have to disagree. When driving on a long trip, I can't drive without a water bottle. In the mornings, I can't drive without my coffee (yes, in a travel mug.) I consider these essential for safe driving. I want to be able to reach down, grab my cup, and take a sip without taking my eyes off the road ahead. I don't want to have to look for my cup. geotek

Reply to
geotek

It is a darn good job that neither of you do any motoring in the UK. Here they will stop you and ticket you for eating an apple (amongst other things) whilst driving. UK motoring law says that you cannot possibly have full control of your vehicle whilst eating, drinking and/or smoking, let alone using a mobile 'phone. It is common sense, after all, to pull over if you need a break of any sort so that you are not a danger to everybody else on the road in your vicinity. Anybody caught doing such a potentially dangerous act, as you describe, should have his licence revoked and be made to take another driving test before regaining that licence.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Well, in California you can't pass the driving test unless you have a chili dog in one hand, your cell phone wedged on your shoulder and a cold drink between your knees (points off if you crush the can) while negotiating freeway rush hour traffic... *g* [just kidding!]

Seriously, I had no idea they were so tough on UK drivers. If we were to crack down like that on drivers here in LA, the traffic problem would be solved... about ¾ of the drivers would be without licenses!

Reply to
Clay

There's also a higher use of manual transmissions in UK/Europe, and the roads seems to be more winding - making frequent use of the steering and gearbox.... So this makes sense to me.

Reply to
Rob Guenther