OT- Carfax Request for 1990 Volvo

Hello all, I am still running my 96 ZJ into the ground but am contemplating the purchase of a 1990 Volvo 740 with

155k miles on the clock but appears to be in good shape for a second work vehicle. I would be greatful if any of you with CarFax accts would be so kind as to run the VIN for me and e-mail the results to me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com or post it here to the group. VIN # is YV1FA8842L1476398 The dealer is asking 2000 for the car. Does anyone know if this is a decent price for this car? I have no experience with Volvos myself but they do have a rep for durability as do our beloved ZJ's. There is no maintenance record for the vehicle so what maintenance items should I focus on upon purchase? Thanks for all you help. Chris
Reply to
JC

At 155K a Volvo 740 or 240 is barely broken in if it has been maintained. Try alt.autos.volvo for more information. Dave Shannon

3 Volvos all with over 200K '01 TJ, 14K.
Reply to
Dave Shannon

While we're at it, would anybody mind buying me a tank of gas?

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

you can run carfax yourself if you have a credit card and don't mind paying $20.00

Reply to
Ron K

Approximately 11/15/03 19:59, JC uttered for posterity:

That isn't any big deal on mileage for the 740 if it has had reasonable care. That engine tends to just run and run and run.

The only problem common to Volvo's I can think of applies mostly to the newer yuppie models...when merging on a busy freeway, the vehicle has a bad habit of veering abruptly to the left whether or not there are cars coming up fast. As soon as it is as far left as it can go, then it tends to slow down to 10-15 miles under the speed limit and stay there. They also appear to have bad brakes, particularly if equipped with cell phones, particularly prone to running thru stop signs, yield signs, red lights, etc. Most of these bad habits only appear to be common to the Volvii with whale or tree hugger bumper stickers tho....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You know I have seen these exact problems. As a Big Truck Driver it annoys the hell otta me. Another problem is pulling out into the right lane and slowing down. I have seen the "all the way into the leftmost lane" and then slowing down. That scares the heck out of me too.

Andy

2001 TJ Planning an upgrade
Reply to
Andy

It seems anything with a Buick emblem does that here. Just this morning a Park Ave. pulled out of the local Perkins and forced me and another pickup driver to panic stop. There wasn't a car for a mile behind us. This is on a

4 lane road with is the US highway running through our town. The old fart then proceeds to drive 15MPH (yes that's 15!) in a 35 zone. I see this so much that I'm beginning to think that some of these people think that since they have been driving so long, they have earned the privilege to drive like this and expect right-of-way.

Chris

Approximately 11/16/03 14:15, Andy uttered for posterity:

Useta be a guy here that commuted every day on Hwy 17 from Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley. Carried a digital camera and Apple notebook and took pictures of idiotic drivers on the "blood alley" section of CA 17. Put them on a website called "Jerque du Jour" for the worst example of Darwinian driving observed on that day's commute. Volvos and Minivans seemed to be the perpetual stars, with some drivers being repeaters. Got in trouble, as he was showing their license plate, not disguising the jerk, etc. etc. Suspect Volvo USA also complained at being featured so prominently.... typically a dumbass in a Volvo with a cell phone pulling right in front of a huge truck on the downgrade, and slowing down.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 11/16/03 14:47, c uttered for posterity:

If you ever get the chance and feel brave, drive in Florida in pretty much any or all of the areas infested by geriatrics in big old Cadillacs or Lincolns. Is enough to drive a teetotaller to drink.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

No rust or smoke and that is an excellent price.

Volvos go forever with fresh oil regularly. I have owned a couple with over 350,000 miles on them that still ran great. AC even still worked in the last one.

We sold our last Volvo 240 wagon when we bought the Cherokee.

Mike

JC wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Lon,

The absolute worst thing that happened to me with regard to these "problems" was a year back. I was in CA and had to travel in the right lane because of my exit a few miles down the road. I forget the highway but it was 5-6 lane. An old guy entered the highway and I spotted him right off and my foot was heading for the brake and my hand was on the shifter ready to plow down through the gears. He did exactly what I figured, pulled right out in front of me and did 25 MPH. It was all I could do to slow the rig down and kept looking in the mirror for the trailer. I really don't know how I did it.

This is why I am getting out of driving. Plus, there are some terrible drivers (Big Truck) out there too. It's time to slow down and start to enjoy my TJ more off road and do some camping.

Andy

60 years young
Reply to
Andy

You ought to see how Volvos react to bicyclists ridng the parkway along the river. The Volvo expands to fill all available space and its horn almost always gets stuck on.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Approximately 11/16/03 16:39, Matt Osborn uttered for posterity:

Is kinda sad really, I used to own a 164E and loved it. Also have lusted after a BMW Bavaria in the past. However, the difficulty with buying either brand these days is the baggage that comes with owning the Complete Return to the Womb Vehicle or the Ultimate Dickhead Machine. And am old enough to remember when only trewly kewl hippies owned Volvos.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

---snip---

I had a 1961. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 11/16/03 18:36, Earle Horton uttered for posterity:

The old cool one, looked kinda like a late 40's Merc? [aka the PV544] or the one that began the ruinous path down the road to yuppiemobile, the 122S?

Reply to
Lon Stowell