Looking for bumper part ...

Hi Everyone

Where would I find the part shown in the following photo:

Notice the one on the driver-side ... it's intact, but the passenger's side is missing.

I'm not sure what this small grill (which fills the hole for the optional fog-lights) is called, so I don't know how to search for it.

Any input/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan Shearer

Looks like the tow hitch cover, at least in the case of the 700 series it's a dealer-only part.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks James

At least now I know how to describe it when I'm searching for it.

Thanks again,

Allan

... and James Sweet spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

According to my parts list, it's described as "Grille without foglight"

The Volvo part numbers are: 9151509 (RH) or 9151511 (LH)

I assume that right & left are when facing in the direction of travel - so it's a right-hand one which you need.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Ah, thank-you! The light gets brighter. :)

Yours,

Allan

... and Bonnet Lock spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

I was wondering if I can add the foglights that would normally go here, my car came with the plastic covers that do not have the lights. Should I expect the wire harness to be there? What else would be needed to add, a switch on the dash?

To anyone who has these are they any good as far as light output and pattern goes?

Thanks for replies to the group

Reply to
My_roller2000

snip

For some models a kit is available from Volvo including lights, wires and switch. Also some if not all require the car to be "programmed" by a dealer to operate the lights. The switch does not directly control the lights, the computer does!

--reed

Reply to
Reed

...missing a similar piece on my s60, I asked the dealer how much for him to install the optional Volvo foglight lights. His answer was 500 US. I settled on replacing the plastic filler( no giveaway either at 25 bucks or so!)

Reply to
Darby O'Gill

I am having a hard time understanding why this could some how be desirable. A switch to turn on a light seems so simple. Why would anyone want a computer in between something as simple as this is beyond logic to me. Anyone have any thoughts on this as to the why to have a computer baby sit a fog light?

Reply to
My_roller2000

Nearly everything in a Volvo is actually computer controlled (so-called "fly by wire"). In the case of lights, it can detect a blown bulb and then display a warning message. About the only actions not controlled are steering and "normal" braking. Even those may change in future models with all the anti-skid, anti-roll, anti-this&that they are building into new Volvos (and other makes).

Reply to
Reed

Not sure about front fog lamps - but rear fog lamps need some logic to stop them being used accidentally. A few years ago, this would have used a latching relay and momentary switch - but it's probably cheaper now to let the computer do it.

The idea is that you should only be able to switch on the rear fog lamps when the ignition and headlamps are on. Having done so, if you switch the ignition and/or headlamps off and back on, the fog lamps should *not* come on again without the switch being operated again.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Similarly (I think) ... for the front foglights, they too turn OFF when the high-beams are turned ON - and then back ON again when the high-beams turned OFF. At least, this is how they work in my 740 (I don't *yet* have front fog lights in my V70).

So, I would think that the front fog lights are wired through a little more logic controls that simply a straight run from the main switch.

I suspect if I buy an OEM/Volvo fog-light kit that they'll have the complete wiring and instructions to get the setup to work as Volvo intended - no?

Allan

... and Bonnet Lock spake, saying:

Reply to
Allan Shearer

In article , My_roller2000 wrote: [ ... ]

Why not, it's babysitting all the other lamps, not to mention a lot of other stuff.

This is an ease-of-manufacture issue. From a manufacturing viewpoint, it's much easier to run a fat power wire and a skinny network wire to each point where there's a device (i.e., light bulb) to control. Or, a cluster of devices... This allows having a single connector with two or three contacts to connect a light assembly having multiple devices, like a tail light, turn signal, backup light, and brake light.

The cost savings of not having to run all those individual wires in a harness, not to mention the easier dealer maintenance with so much less wiring to trace/troubleshoot, saves tons of labor--it takes less time to run one two-wire cable to several points, just plugging in one small connector at each of those points.

The largest component of manufacturing costs is labor; labor cost is directly related to time; reduce the time required, even with the tradeoff of higher material prices, and the savings can be huge.

Since the control modules can be dirt cheap in volume (although not necessarily at the dealer parts counter), it's trivial to add in sensors (bulb out, temperature, etc.) and adding a device to a circuit is as simple as crimping another little connector to the cable.

Modern cars are networks.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Two other advantages:

The wiring harness is lighter, less weight equals better mileage and performance. Copper is expensive, less is obviously cheaper. And then you have to go back to the dealer and let them work on your car

- very few independent garages can afford the cost of the equipment necessary to do this work, and in any case the software is only available direct from Volvo.

Reply to
Mike F