Loud 5th gear on my 89' 240

I recently bought an '89 240 wagon with 230,000 miles on it. It has a little rust on the inside of the doors and under, but not much visible. I replaced the exhaust when I got it and have about $1200 in it. My question: The 5th gear makes a ratteling noise, and I was told that the bearings are probably bad. I was quoted around $1000 to 'repair' the transmission, which sounded like almost a rebuild. The car shifts and drives fine in all gears, it just makes noise. Should I put money into repairing the trans. or drive it until it croaks?

Reply to
240 virgin

Drive it till it croaks.. I had an '82 Toyota Tercel that made BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD bearing noise (old North/South first gen Tercel), and it lasted 60K miles, and well, it never failed, I just sold it. It sounded like there were a dozen marbles rolling around in a tumbler!!!

NO PROBLEMS! :)

Volvo?!?! Even less problems. Sure, it might explode, but, if you have $1K burning a hole in your pocket, do it.. I wouldn't.

Reply to
Robert

Probably not worth spending the money on, unless you do a complete restoration (engine, transmission, body, interior, suspension etc.).

Just for the heck of it, change out the manual transmission fluid.

Can't hurt.

Reply to
zencraps

Drive it until it starts to sound worse, if that happens look for a good used transmission and drop it in, it's not a huge project.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yeah, those 5 speed transmissions like to be a little overfilled, that will stop this problem from developing. Overfilling it slightly may make it last longer in its current state. However if the bearing is grinding itself up, then the transmission will be in a sad state pretty quick, as it will grind itself up, filling the oil with metal particles.

Reply to
Mike F

$1,000 will probably get you a boneyard transmission. I doubt they were going to take it apart.

It's very difficult to analyze noises over the internet because we all interpret them differently. If it were me and the noise wasn't getting any worse and it went into gear smoothly I would just live with it and monitor the sound for any change.

Reply to
hjsjms

Jeez, I paid $75 for one a few years back for my mom's car, had to pull it myself though. The M47's seem to be showing up a bit more as the later model 240s get older. If you're paying $1K for a used gearbox for a car that's pushing up on 20 years old you got ripped off, may as well buy a whole car for parts at that rate.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm sure that's the installed price from the dealer. Used boxes in good condition in my experience go for a lot more than $75.00

Reply to
hjsjms