Ticking 5th gear (when disengaging)

All,

When I disengage the 5th gear, I can hear a single "tick" noise. This is on a 110 TD5. It only happens from the 5th gear, when the stick goes from facing the 5th gear (between 5th and reverse) back to middle position:

(best viewed in monospace ;-)

1 3 5 | | | |---|-x-| | | | 2 4 R

where marked with the 'x', again only when comming from 5th.

At first, I thought it was some linkage catching something when engaging 5th and then releasing it (it's loud enough to be heard from within the car while driving), but after having a look at it (or rather at the workshop manual as nothing is visible from under the car), it is clearly not possible since the gear stick goes directly in the gear box.

Has anybody had that? Should I worry? Any suggestions?

TIA,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Fred Labrosse wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@leri.aber.ac.uk:

I've noticed this in our 2004 Discovery TD5. Is it the same gearbox?

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

It's absolutely normal - it's the reverse gear selection inhibit disengaging.

There's a lockout in the box (R380 - same on the Disco and Defender BTW) which stops you doing a 5th-to-reverse change. When you move out of 5th to the middle position it unlocks to allow access to reverse, and giving the audible click.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Many thanks for the explanation.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

On or around Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:42:28 +0100, "Martin Lewis" enlightened us thusly:

quite so; the time you have to worry is if it doesn't do it.

came in at the same time as synchromesh on reverse... presumably, in theory, it is actually possible to get reverse from 5th - although I recon you'd have to try quite hard. 'course, the consequences would be impressive.

on a non-synchro, such as mine, I seriously doubt it's possible to engage reverse at 5ht-gear type speeds, certainly you wouldn't do it without noticing :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ball bearing interlock to stop inadvertant engaging of reverse and consequent wheel spin in reverse/ lack of control/ bang. XJS owner had a problem years ago when doing high speed on motorway and engaged reverse by mistake. ( killed himself in ensuing carnage )

Reply to
Hirsty's