Mike F., Questions about tailgate wiring

Mike, Your advice in response to my last post seems great but I don't clearly understand it. Are you saying to use the old harnesses and just pull some wire through and reconnect or buy new harnesses and use the wire from the old ones to make up any distance that doesn't meet up? And on the ground wires, you say use 2 pieces in parralel, could you explain this like you would to a child, because I'm not really getting the picture.

Also someone else mentioned the older designs using the tailgate hatch as ground connection, can I just rely on that? I'd be perfectly happy to have my tailgate wipers work only when the hatch is closed if that is the scenario.

Thanks A Million

Danny

Your passenger side one has been repaired. The harness protrudes about > 6" inside the roof of the car where it connects to the main harness, > there's a connector there, so it's not like you have to rewire the whole > car. > > You can use the unflexed parts of your old harness (down in the tailgate > the wires will still be in good shape) to bridge the gap in the broken > ground wires. The ground wires are a little thicker, so you can use 2 > pieces in parallel. Just make sure you solder the connections. Note > that the ground wires were not even in the hinges in the early cars, > grounding was done through the structure of the hinges and latch. > > -- > Mike F. > Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
Reply to
Danny