Model S90 opinions

I've driven mostly Volvos since early '70s, but none of the new models. My current cars are '91 240 and '70 1800E. Recently sold '66 122s. I love the old stuff.

About 3 yrs ago, my sister converted, starting with a 240 wagon, and now a

940 wagon. Now, she no longer needs a wagon, and is looking at a S90 ('98, I think). Thinking that I know something about cars, she's asked my advice on this model. Like I said, I love the old stuff, but not knowledgable on anything newer than the 240/740/940 series.

Is the S90 really a 964?

I'm aware of the obvious luxury appointments, and the solid safety features. I've read the 3 reviews posted at ePinions.com, which give mixed opinions.

What is really good on this car?

What is not good on this car?

What are common problems or excessive repair items?

What is general sale price ('98 with 60,000 miles in TX)?

Thanks for all the great info.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Yes, the S90 is a 960 sedan (964). It was called S90, because in 1998, its last model year they switched over to the S/V/C system. In 1999 It was replaced by the S80, and in wagon form, the V70... which was already in production, but it did have an AWD version and a "Cross Country" version, also with AWD, and of course the many FWD models.

We have a 93 960, basically the same car with an older tune of the engine (201hp at 6000rpm and 197lb ft of torque in the 4000ish range) the newer cars had 181hp, but 199 lb ft of torque, made much lower in the rpm band. Apparantly the S90 engine (used from 1995 up I believe) is much more flexible, in that you don't need to get it spinning hard to go anywhere fast.

Really good - engine. Smooth and reliable, at least in our experience. The brakes are good, and long lasting... I hope they didn't change those. Stereo system sounds really nice.

Not good - ... Well since our 960 is older then an S90, this will be good to hear. They don't have age related problems after 10 years of use... Just wear and tear as far as we can tell. Brake pads every 100K Kms, oil changes, filter changes, tranny fluid changes, brake fluid changes... We had to replace the steering rack after 10 years... I think it's from too much use in the parking lots tho...

Repair items - I'd say the A/C systems can mysteriously be out of refrigerant, this may not be a problem in Texas since it would be on more often... Apparantly if not used over our long Canadian winters the gaskets in the A/C system can leak. We have had 1 recharge after 7 years... The ECC is a little funny sometimes too... If it's 23 degrees (C) out side, and you want the car at 21-22.... it won't turn the A/C on, it will blow air from the outside at you with almost no real cooling.... This is with the A/C button set to on (Actually, not off... to be technically correct)

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I agree with your comments on the S90 -- I too think it was a luxurious and classy Volvo sedan, but the V70 is not the estate form of the S80 for 1999. The V70 was the estate form of the S70, which were both made in 1999. They both have Volvo's 5-cyl engine inherited from the 850 series. For '98 and '97, Volvo made the V90, the estate version of the S90.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

The V90 was replaced by the V70 in 1999, when the last of Volvo's famous rear wheel drive wagons rolled off the assembly lines. The V70 was about the same size, had more interior room, could be had with more power and features, and more safety equipment. Yes it was built off the 850 platform, but you could get AWD, and the turbocharged 5 cylinders did the job of the 6 cylinder, possibly better (tho, they could not match it for smoothness and acoustics IMO).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi all;

Ive been with Volvos for years 145 - 740 - 960.

The 960 or the s90 is getting old these days, but I still think I have a good comfie motor for a relitively small amount of money (7000 Gpb). I did have my cam belt go that cost me dear, but that was my fault I also had the auto gear box fluid appear in the engine coolant, Simply a new radiator. (funilly enough I had the same thing on my 740) I cannot recall seeing a bad 960 on the raod, not that you see many.

I have the 3 litre with the cruise that has saved in the speed areas on several accasions.

The motors to campare the 960 with have got to be the Mercs /BMW, which always seem to cost more for the same amount of motor.

I will have to admit to not likeing the S80 though, but again I reckon it will be the money that swings me back to Volvo.

Regards Ian (Leic UK)

Reply to
Ian Pellew