My latest Guess - water Pump?? 94 850 Turbo

Ok,

I've tried a few different things, with the latest being replacing the thermostat. Filled expansion tank back up with coolant, and observed the leaks. I notice on the passenger side wheel well coming from the assorted belts I am leaking coolant. Could this be my water pump?

Also...I drove it for maybe 500 yards and returned to the drive way. THe expansion tank was steaming and a lot more coolant was leaking (I'm assuming the from the expansion tank)

All ideas are greatly appreciated.

'94 850 Turbo

Reply to
UnderCoverG

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is UnderCoverG:

If you are losing water from the expansion tank, it could be that you simply need a new cap for the tank - the cooling system operates under pressure, and if the cap's pressure valve has failed it may be letting water escape.

However, it could also be a sign that the head gasket is gone. If this happens the cooling system becomes over pressurised by pressure leaking in from a combustion chamber. This simply forces water out of the cooling system under a higher pressure than it normally operates at. In bad cases it can lead to burst hoses and split radiators.

When the engine is fully warmed up, try squeezing one of the radiator hoses. You should be able to squeeze the sides together under firm hand pressure. If it is tight like a drum it is over pressurised.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Unfortunately the only thing that pressurizes the cooling system that fast is a leak from the combustion chamber. Usually this means a head gasket has failed or a warped head.

Reply to
Mike F