O/D switch in shifter

88 240 wagon, automatic. Good working relay. Wire below shifter comes down from shifter, spliced poorly under car, over transmission into seloniod. No overdrive engagement. Removed switch from shifter and found empty hole. No wire, no reciever for two prongs of switch, nothing. Wire comes out bottom of shifter under car, but from where. I belive the thumb switch. If it goes up into thumb switch it's not there. Whats supposed to be in the shift knob when you remove the switch. Prior to switch in empty hole, I had a bad relay . Light stayed on in dash, no clicking of switch (suprise, suprise), 3spd automatic. (got 25 mpg). Replace with good working relay out of my 85 240 DL, light goes out, still no overdrive,and still no click from switch (Duh). I've read that I can remove relay and jumper out the connector ( see below) and always run like a four spd. auto. Thats fine for me till I fix bad relay, but will missing switch assembly scrap that idea. If I buy new switch from anywhere, do I get whats in the shift knob or just what I already ave.

Also, how do I stop "service engine " light from cycling on after start up. I've already performed services.

Thanks Ray

...assuming you don't want/need the switch-controlled downshift, and the relay really is at fault, it can be easily removed and by-passed by a jumper wire in the relay harness plug. (As long as Fuse 11 and the wire from the relay harness to the solenoid are OK.) The jumper (use relay-sized flat male ends on wire) goes between: The terminal 15 position (Blue/Black and Gray wires, voltage from fuse

11) The terminal 87 position (White wire to Solenoid) The effect will be like a relay that is always in the OD On state, as it normally is unless toggled Off for a selected downshift

PS: I see that the wire goes from the selonoid to the relay so I'll try the bypass and see what happens unless I get some terrible warning not to.

Reply to
jacktheboy

Originally there were two gray wires that came from the relay, under the carpet, through the shifter box and up the shift lever inside the chrome plastic sleeve on the shifter itself. Then through the knob and out the side to the push button switch.

When you turn the key to position II or III the white wire going from the relay to the OD solenoid is energized and the transmission shifts into fourth gear automatically. When you push the momentary contact the relay drops the ground connection and the transmission downshifts to 3rd gear for towing or mountain driving and illuminates the upshift arrow in the instrument cluster.

As it is now the transmission should shift automatically into OD. This is the default mode.

Bob

Reply to
User

How about resetting the service engine light. I've cycled on and off

10 or 12 times, and it still comes on at start and shuts off after 2 minutes like it should. Should I be looking for a problem somewhere else. Thanks Ray
Reply to
jacktheboy

That's just the odometer-linked time-to-change-your-oil warning. Depending on the year and model of your Volvo, there are different tricks for resetting it after you change the oil. Some of the mid-90's 850s could only be reset by the dealer (thus ensuring the $100 oil change business). Check your owners manual, search the WWW, or post another message to this group including your model number.

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Resetting the service engine light in the 90's 240s.

Look in the lower right corner of the instrument cluster, below the gas gauge.

You will see a little black button. Push that in about 1/4 inch. You will feel it click.

If that does not work, you can reach up behind the cluster and move the lever on the back of the cluster.

In about 5000 miles or so, the light will come back on to remind you to do some more service.

Duane

Reply to
Duane