OBD-II Code

Is the OBD-II code specific to Volvo or is it generic?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Stock (remove the "antispam")

OBD-II codes are generic by definition. Volvo used their own code system, so there is a "translation" from OBD-II codes to Volvo code numbers. For example, Volvo 2-1-4 is OBD-II P0336 RPM sensor signal sporadic. This type of OBD-II code that starts with "P0" on a Volvo indicates the same problem as the same code on any other make of car. Codes that start with "P1" are manufacturer specific. You can find out lots about OBD-II by doing a search on the internet.

Reply to
Mike F

Are volvo OBD pinouts non-generic. The reason I ask is that I bought a 'Creader' generic OBDII reader off a US based seller on ebay. It merely returns four dashes and the letter 'E' when connected to my 850.......

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

Your problem may be that outside the the US & Canada only the 20valve 850 cars with Motronic 4.4 ECU are OBDII compliant.

Reply to
OBD

That would be it then!

Mine is a 10Valve......... :-(

I am really hacked off with this thing. I simply don't seem to be able to get a reader at a reasonable price. I can't even find the schematic for an interface I could build! The one link I did find selling boards, the guy isn't answering his email!

SO what the **** is the output on the 10V model????

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

Hi,

I had the same problem with my 1996 10v (Fenix) Volvo 850 here in Australia, but fortunately found a reference in a British motor magazine called Car Mechanics (can't get it anymore) which stated:

"It is possible to obtain flash codes from this vehicle by grounding pin 3 of the OBDII socket and using an LED with a live feed to watch the flashes generated after the ground has been removed - 3 second switch to initiate."

I tried this and it works. The OBDII kit I bought is useless for this car, except I just added the switch and LED (I probably used a 1Kohm resistor in series with the LED) into the OBDII box and just get flash codes.

If you want to try and see if it works with yours (assuming you don't have any fault codes) try disconnecting the temperature sensor on the air cleaner box and run the engine. You should get the appropriate fault code (I can't remember what it is but it's in the Haynes manual)

Regards Barry

Reply to
Barry

Try: this link:

&topic_id521&mesg_id521&listing_type=search Make sure you paste it into browser address in one line.

and this:

Reply to
OBD

FWIW using something like

takes only a second andprevents the line wrap problem with long URLs.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Does tinyurl guarantee that those links will still work when people are using Google to read these posts in five or ten years?

Reply to
L David Matheny

I'm not a fan of tinyurl either (for other reasons), but in the ephemeral world of the internet, is there any guarantee that any link will work a _year_ from today, let alone five or ten years from now ;-)

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf