'Odd rocker switch on 240

Hello,

I noticed that my '89 240 has a red rocker switch between the headlight and rheostat switches. I bought the car used and it doesn't do anything.

My '84 240 does not have this switch, but the panel is indented as if it were an option.

I don't have an '89 owner's manual but the '84 manual doesn't mention it. Odd, given the pre-indent which can be seen, and can be popped out to make room for the switch, easily.

If you know of this switch, I would appreciate any information you can share.

Thanks.

Allan Ballard

89 240 197k 84 240TI 215k [project car]
Reply to
Greenthumb

turns on the tail fog light?

Reply to
Al Dente

My guess is a fog light switch. Maybe your fog lights have been removed. Some get knocked off on curbs, especially if driven by an estrogenized individual..... KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

It's for the rear foglamps, turn it on with the headlights on and some fairly bright red markers come on in the rear. Use it only in fog and be careful not to flip it on with someone right behind you as it looks much like brakelights.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yep. I've been trying to find one of those switches locally for a while without success. :-(

The wiring is such that the rear fogs only work on low beam, IIRC. Pretty sure that they don't come on with conspicuity/parkers, and I'm certain that they go off with high beam. Yes, we're talking about _rear_ fog lights going out with high beam!

Regulations covering these vary from country to country (and even from state to state in some countries). The general guideline for use is that they are only appropriate if visibility is less than

50m (50 yards) due to fog, rain, sleet, hail, dust storm etc..

Inappropriate use generates road rage in some places - beware!

Reply to
athol

If the fog is so thick that you need t use the rear fog light, then high beams will probably be dangerous to use for you AND the other drivers...

We get fog here that is quite thick at times, and one night coming home, after going through a highway 'intersection' (Where a two-lane crosses the highway, controlled by stop signs on the two lane), I got the strangest feeling in the pit of my stomach when I noticed that the double yellow was to my RIGHT! __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

When I realised how it works, I was quite impressed. I know exactly _why_ they've done it. If the weather is clear enough to be able to use high beam, the fog lights should be off. Ditto front fogs. Volvo obviously had the foresight to wire the fogs "idiotproof". :-)

Reply to
athol

I probably have one of those switches somewhere you can have for a few dollars + postage.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's a shame that it's so hard to transfer cash electronically overseas... If you were in AU, I could direct deposit to your bank account. :-(

One local wrecker gives me odd parts for free or very little because I do work for them. They gave me 5 7-series Sirius mags a few months ago! So far, they haven't had a late enough model to get the fog light switch. AU didn't get them until somewhere in the mid '80s, even though the wiring was there all along.

Reminds me - that wrecker forgot to pay for a couple of jobs a couple of months ago. I should visit. :-)

Reply to
athol

It's actually very easy, I do it all the time, I use PayPal.

Reply to
James Sweet

California vehicle code states that the fog lights must be wired to be on only with the low beams. It very well may be part of the DOT egs as well. Makes sense, actually. I haven't cehcked my rear fog with high beams.. will have to do that just to see...

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Thanks to all who posted. I had no idea and will take a look to see what's back there that I haven't noticed.

--Allan Ballard

Reply to
Greenthumb