odometer does not work

hi,

I am new to this group, and have a 1988 volvo 240GL for nearly 2 years. this car has around 220000 km when I bought it. there had been some fixes during the first year after I bought it, but after that it runs smoothly, and I like it very much.

but recently the car's odometer did not work, i.e. the number in the odometer does not change even when the car is being driven.

does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? if it needs to be replace, what kind of things do I need to ask for in the volvo parts factory.

thanks very much

regards

martin

Reply to
feng

Probably just a new cable - mine cost about 60Euros to fix. goes to somewhere near the left front wheel on my 440 Volvo.

Reply to
A.Thomass

Martin: If your speedometer is still working, then it isn't the cable from the transmission to the back of the instrument cluster. If the odometer is like the one on my 1980 262C, then I'd say the nylon worm gear has cracked and rotates freely on the shaft. This happens with age and also if you try to reset the trip meter while the car is moving. This may be expensive to replace with a new unit, if still available. I suggest you find a working odometer at a salvage yard, but it's impossible to tell if it has suffered the same fate. Don't use one from a 260 Volvo series and find an exact match if you have cruise control.

Your best option, if it is the odometer gear, is to remove the odometer (use instructions in Haynes 240 Service Manual) then do what I did over 10 years ago. Drill a small hole threw the nylon gear and metal shaft. Insert fine copper wire and twist/glue in place, ensuring that the gear will freely move. That should do the trick. Good luck.

Cam a.k.a. CVOLVO.COM

PS: Possibly the VCOA BrickBoard forum may have a more detailed procedure -

camshaft

You will probably find that the little plastic gear wheel which drives the odometer has split and is no longer able to transmit the drive to the odometer wheels. If you are confident enough you may be able to repair it so that drive is restored, if not take it to an instrument wizz.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

hi,

thanks for those suggestions, I really appreciate it.

regards

feng

Reply to
feng