engine oil for 206

Hi, I've got a Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

The engine oil level low indicator came on after turning the engine on, just after it shows the miles left till service is due.

Whats the best engine oil to get??

Reply to
paul.from.west.london

I prefer the green stuff. Other opinions may vary. You might also want to check your oil level at the intervals recommended in the owners handbook rather than waiting until it runs dry. I think you'll find that any oil is better than none.

Reply to
Dave Baker

it needs a semi synthetic oil, for the uk a 10w-40 is ok, the oil type then varies dependent on whether you have a 1.4 diesel or petrol.

I suggest you go into any car shop and ask for the right oil for your car, don't buy the very cheapest, but buy the best you can afford. Have the car serviced at least once a year.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Whatever GSF have that meets Peugeot / Citroens specification number. Should be around a tenner for 5L to the public.

Reply to
Doki

PSA vehicles have an orange low oil level warning light that flashes when the oil hits the bottom marker on the dipstick, so it's not been run dry. Pretty handy thing to have for people who are averse to looking under the bonnet (though I can see why with the s**te convoluted combined dip stick / oil filler cap that PSA seem to like).

Reply to
Doki

Don't just rely on the indicator, check the dip stick (if you can find it). The indicators often give false alarms if you park on a slope. If you just pour oil into the engine until the light goes off you could overfill it, which could cause catastrophic damage. Your car driver's handbook (yes the one you threw away when you got the car) will have all the information on the correct oil to buy.

Reply to
Brian

D'you think that Alfa should have considered something similar for their cars? :-)

I also like the presence of a low-water light, which comes on before it gets too low for the cooloing to work (though I'm less enamoured of the lack of a proper temperature gauge - not that it's ever been a problem). Possibly handy for K-series cars :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

if its a pug its likely to have a label under the bonnet telling you the best oil to get

Reply to
steve robinson

Yebbut he'll have to work out how to open the bonnet first, won't he?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Actually, in my experience, Pug engines rarely use much oil, so it begs the question, when was it last serviced?

Reply to
Brian