S80 HU-801 Radio

I bought my first Volvo a few months back, a 2000 S80. It has the upgraded stereo with the HU-801 radio, but the 4 CD changer doesn't work. I've since heard this is a common problem. Does anyone know if there's a "common fix" short of paying the dealer almost $600 for a remanufactured unit? How ridiculous is that?!

I bought a used HU-801 but it had the same problem. Also, for some reason the steering wheel radio-controls wouldn't work with the other radio. I'm told that problem would require a "software" fix from the dealer. I don't understand these expensive "software" issues --is Volvo partnered with Microsoft??

If anyone has found a suitable slot-loading CD player that works in place of the original, or a good after market radio replacement I would appreciate hearing from you. I like the car very much, but the audio issue is a pain.

Thanks --I feel better already!

Jim

Reply to
Jim