Opinions on "engine flush"

I think I know where I stand on this but, I'll ask...

Has anyone had wonderful, positive results that were worth running an engine flush/engine cleaner?

I have to listen to the sales pitch for this crap every time I go for an oil change at the quickie Lube places.

"Oh, sir it will clear your engine of all that horrible varnish".

My sons recently resurrected 1985 245T has some pretty ugly oil to be changed but I still don't think it's a good idea to run this stuff...

Forgive me if this is a beat to death subject. I missed the posts if it is.

TIA

Reply to
don b.

Just tell them you already did that, and it didn't help.

Anything someone tried to pressure sell is probably neither necessary or a good idea.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks Gary I agree But, I do wonder if there is anything good that can come from a "flush" on a 22 year old car...

Reply to
don b.

I've heard concern of it clogging up oil ports with gunk that it flushes free, never actually done it myself though. Personally I wouldn't bother, whatever gunk is built up is probably not hurting anything. Anywhere with moving parts will have stayed wiped clean.

Reply to
James Sweet

Several years ago, our company did sheet metal and machined parts for one of the manufacturers of these engine and transmission flush systems. Whenever they were developing new equipment, we would build the prototypes then they would test them on our employees cars (if the employee wanted a free flush, that is.) They wouldn't touch any of the older cars, my '83 245 included. They learned the hard way, the problems James described. Change the oil, filter, and flame trap and call it good...

Reply to
clay