Ultimate Engine Flush

I have a 91 DSM 2.0 Turbo. My engine was gunked and I believe it was effecting oil passage to my turbo,

I first used the kerocene method without starting the engine. Drained oil, Filled W/ Kerocene, sat over 8 hrs. Then changed oil filter and added non-synthetic oil. Drove for about 100 miles, and repeated the process.

After the 2nd kerocene flush, I checked my oil color often and changed my oil 3 more times within 250 miles of each other. Also changed oil filters each time.

Finally I began the AutoRX treatment. This product goes in with your oil and stays in for quite a while. Eventually you drain and change the oil filter and run on regular oil as a rinse.

My engine really came a long way with that treatment.

Reply to
JLL

Just put a 1L of ATF in and drive gently for about 100-200km. No high reving and boosting. Keep the RPM below 3k. Best method I know to date.

Kero is the next step if not satisfied with the ATF method. But I wouldent leave it in for 8 hours :screwy: who gave you that advice. Remember Kero is a solvent.

Reply to
BLISTK

Kerosene is one of the poorest of solvents, and is unlikely to damage either paint or gaskets. I, and many others, have used it emulsified in water to wash cars, to remove tar spots, etc.

You really dont have problems with solvency UNLESS you use something really powerful like xylene, benzene, toluene, or similar. Aniline point will tell you how likely the solvent is to damage elastomers.

It is seldom that I have to flush an engine anymore. I change oil frequently and have found brands that do not seem to be bad about varnishing.

ATF is probably okay too. So is Mystery Marvel Oil, and a number of other products which, when used as directed, do decent jobs.

Reply to
hls

Yes. ARX is incredible. My compression went up 50 points and went from

35 point sway to 5 points.

gas mileage went up from 25 to 30mpg

way more low RPM torque, great for driveability

It's an impressive product, and you get what you pay for. It will take a l> I have a 91 DSM 2.0 Turbo. My engine was gunked and I believe it was

Reply to
n0rt0n

Yep I know all that but is still wouldent leave it in the engine for 8 hours, would you.

And yes a regular oil change will keep things under controll.

Also if you are scared to flush use an oil for diesel engine something like Castrol RX Super is excelent and its rated for Petrol Engines as well, SJ i think.

Anyways I used the ATF Flush on heaps of cars with good results.

Reply to
BLISTK

I would, and have, many times.. I have never had any gasket problems.

Reply to
hls
[...]

Same here. I rinse my crankcase before each oil change using diesel fuel. Never had a problem.

Reply to
B.B.

So you left it in your engine for 8 hours is that right?? Also how much of it did you leave in there??? Same amount of liters as oil you engine takes?

Reply to
BLISTK

Yep i do the same but with Kero, good for getting rid of the last bit of crap on the bottom of the oil pan before you put in the new oil.

Have any of you guys ever used Magnets on the oil filter and a the oil Pan?

I can understand the logic behind it what are your thought?

Reply to
BLISTK

Yeah I use a magnet on my drain plug. Theres always micro-shavings on it. I've never put one on the filter tho...I guess that if the particle is big enough to be attracted to a filter magnet...wouldn't the filter media get it?

Reply to
n0rt0n

I will confess to having filled one very badly sludged engine up to the top of the valve covers with Kerosene once. It held about 10 gallons. the goal was to completely submerge every internal nook and cranny in solvent.

The next day we drained and captured all the kerosene, then filtered it through fine cloth and ran it all *BACK* through the engine several times (pouring in the oil fillers on each valve cover alternately, drain plug out, straining it on each pass). We got about a 1-lb coffee can full of solid matter out of that engine- it was in bad shape. Then we flushed it with about 5 gallons of fresh kerosne, THEN ran about a gallon of inexpensive oil through each bank to re-coat the cam before starting it, and then fired it up with fresh (good) oil and a new filter. Then changed the filter and oil after about 50 miles.

FWIW- that engine is still in daily use about 6 years later, now with over 200,000 miles on the clock, never been opened up (but never allowed to have cheap oil in it again, either...).

Reply to
Steve