Please Help??? 98 S-70 GLT stalling problem???

Hi Everyone: I despertly need answers, as I have got numerous solutions from friends. The problem started yesterday with my wife. When in a parking lot,at traffic light, or slow traffic, when pressing the accelator, the engine stalls and dies. The only way to restart engine is to hold the pedal all way down to the floor. I realize that with the efi engines this does not normally help as in the old carburated engines. It takes probably 30 seconds of cranking and then I can hear it the engine slowly speeding up and it will usually go ahead and start up. If its where I can go ahead and get on the road and get up to speed, the engine runs fine until I'M slowed dowd again, at this point the engine starts stalling unless I can speed up again. Do you think it could be the mass air sensor, like I just read in one of the post just below this one. One person at NAPA told me it was the coolant temperature sensor. I don't know what to believe.

Any advice from readers will certainly be appreciated, as I cannot afford to hire parts swappers, like we all have encounter before. Take care..Larry

Reply to
Robie

Just went through the same problem but with my S80------Had to have the throttle cleaned, part was $20, but labor $300

Reply to
MAtzori

Thanks for the reply and advice. So your volvo was acting just like this one also? Thanks Robie

Reply to
Robie

would stall as was slowing down to almost complete stop.

Reply to
MAtzori

Yes and in this 2000 s80 it cost $300 labor just to get to the throttle box. I did not opt to have it replaced as that was another $400-500 supposedly

Reply to
MAtzori

Thanks again for reply..these volvos are great while running, but terrible costly to repair..lr

Reply to
Robie

Hi Robie,

Is yours a fly by wire S-70? It was in about 98 they changed from a mechanical linkage to the fly by wire system. If it is a fly by wire did the CEL come on at all? If you want to check the Air Mass meter try disconnecting it and seeing how it runs. Mine ran fine without it for about 3 weeks till I found another one (got it from FCPGroton and shipped it to the UK for less than half the price the local dealer was asking!). As for the throttle body, if yours is a FBW model they are really easy to remove (although Volvo will stick you 2 hours labour!). All you need is a screwdriver and a 10mm socket on a 1/4 drive ratchet, a bit of patience and a good sense of touch... I changed my throtle body in 20 minutes (in the dealers car park as it needs a software reload after replacing it).

AB

Reply to
AB

Have you checked under the hood for disconnected vacuum hoses? My

1998 V70 started stalling at low speeds one day, out of the blue; turned out the idler hose had worked loose from its connector.

Mine didn't have the other symptom you mention - hard to start - but that doesn't prove it's not a vacuum hose.

It sounds to me like the throttle is the more likely culprit, but it costs nothing to look under the hood for a disconnected hose or other obvious problem.

Reply to
Michael Wojcik