problem with HOT engine

Why? The head expands a bit faster than the plugs, usually they're easier to remove when hot. I would however wait for the head to cool before installing them.

Reply to
James Sweet

OTOH, the aluminum is softer and more reactive ("sticky") when hot. Good news, bad news. I stick with cold engines for plug removal and installation, so I can't say whether hot engines are bad.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Gary Heston" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Not always. Depends on dimension on the axhaust pipe and pressure in the axhaust system. Turbo or not will also make a difference. But may occure when car is run under heavy load or hard accelleration.

Anyway, check for coolant flow in the cylinder head. Possible problem is the coolant pump. Or wrong replaced hoses...

Not that hot... Not red hot. Just so hot that the engine don't run under starting (cold engine) conditions. You can't tell anything from spark plugs run with extra fuel added (starting conditions or cold engine conditions adds extra fuel).

But the pictures are to compare with spark plugs run under normal hot engine conditions. So if you can run the engine so the engine temp rises to normal running conditions. Then stop and wait until the engine gets cold. Takes a few minutes... At least 30. It's ok for me, but it's almost 30 min of wasted time in my eyes...

I've removed spark plugs from hundreds of hot engines for more than 25 years now, without any problems. If the spark plugs are tightened with the right torque, it should be no problem. But be careful anyway. If it seems to be stuck, dont use extra force... Wait until the engine gets cold, and try again.

Reply to
Knut Solem

But that's why you want to check the color on the plugs when they are cold. The last time the plugs were used the engine was warm - it is best to do it after some actual driving :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee