Radio code question

I have downloaded the software for older radios for Volvos. But I have not found a way to decode the 816 model radio other than spending money with some outfits in England. Dealer wants ridiculous amount of money for "work" to provide the working code. Any thoughts? TIA George.

Reply to
George Morton

Hello George:

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Are you looking for the four digit secuity codes that are needed on older Volvos when power is disconnected and then reconnected and go into "code" Or is it something else.

Newest one I own is a 1993 240...but I am considering a '94 960

Seems to me that you want info for a new volvo..as the SC-816 to my knowledge was first offered in the 2000 S-60.

If you can be more specific about what info you are looking for I may be able to help. CD changer stuck or not accepting CD's? No problem and if your local dealer will not give you the code for that mine will--as long as I can give them the serial number on the radio.

You'll have to remove the radio to get that--but have to do it anyway to access the resets as far as I know.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

I am looking for the 4 digit code following a battery disconnect. (Nothing fancy). The Volvo that this is currently in is a 2000 S-40. The CD changer is not an issue. I have the serial number: it is V01618 X0111260H (this was obtained by removing the radio).

Also, do you know anything about the two hour delay and the capacitor that controls it?

Thanks, George.

Reply to
George Morton

Hi George:

Just spoke to the service manager at my local dealer; he'll be happy to look up the code but needs more than just the serial number.

Apparently there is a seven digit (7) part number on the same tag as the serial number or close to it.

He needs both that and the serial number to look up the 4 digit batter discon code.

If you happen to see this and get back to me before 5 PM EST (GMT -5 is my time zone) I'll be able to call him today again and get the code for you. Otherwise it will have to be tomorrow.

ALso..if the radio has ever been replaced he may need the VIN number as well. My guess here is that in the new cars like yours the computer links the radio to the VIN number as well if the radio is replaced--but that's only a guess on my part.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

Hello George:

I happened to be at my local dealer today and could have gotten the code if I has the 7 digit part number.

That said, you wrote

provide the code.

Only one issue here now George--and I'd not noticed this earlier. Your e-mail address is at optonline.net--which happens to be Optimum Online...the Cable, internet and VOIP venture of a company owned by the Dolan family and only available in the Long Island and Connecticut areas--and perhaps now NJ as well.

Anyway, it's Cablevision and not even available where I live in NY--much less the UK.

BTW....The Dolan family also has the long term leases on Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall in NYC at Rockefeller Center.

That makes me wonder why you said the "dealers in the UK want too much for 'work' to get the code.

George, it's no work at all. The parts or service department person enters the serial number of the radio and the part number. That connects then to the server at Volvo USA in New Jersey and the code comes back in less than three minutes. At NO CHARGE to the customer.

Hmmm....but is that radio were stolen from another car and the customer had it replaced at any Volver dealer they will have entered the numbers from the original radio and it will show up as a stolen unit--thus the person asking for the code may get a ride in a shiny new Ford Victoria police car while wearing what I call (as a former NYC police officer) NYPD charm bracelets. Most call them handcuffs.

George...I am certainly not accusing you or anyone else of anything--but do wonder about the UK link.

Perhaps you are here on holidays and dealers in the UK do charge money for the code. If so, fine...and I am still happy to help.

That said...if it does happen to be a stolen unit you can forget about getting a code.

If it's a unit pulled from a wreck? No problem.

Let me know what the story is.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to