That Broke It! (Radio code removal question)

Decided to buy a packj of blank tapes today so I could tape something to listen to in the car. It sounded very fuzzy, so I took the stereo out and checke dthe head - Very crapped up. At the same time, I thought it would be a good idea to mess around with teh bulbs for the illumination, as the display backlight had gone. In the process, I managed to dislodge on of the ribbon connectors that's under the tape deck.

In short, I put a drill through the PCB trying to drill out a screw that wouldn't budge, and now have a beyond dead stereo, and a gaping hole in the dash :(

I quite fancy the idea of getting a Rover stereo from the breakers, I don't need anything fancy, generally only have radio 4 on anyway. But I don't want to pay through the nose for a radio, and then pay through the nose again for the code, is there any way to look these things up? Car only cost 80 quid, so I'm trying to avoid paying 25% of the value!

Reply to
Stuffed

Breakers normally only sell working radios. Including the code if one is needed. You could try a charity shop. I've seen them in those for under a tenner. Come to think of it, I've got a radio cassette out of a Rover. A Montego type Vitesse IIRC. Complete with code card. £15 inc postage, if I can find it. Interested? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The breakers I'd be going to has half a dozen of the later K series Metros in, all with the standard radios - And no batteries, probably no codes written down, and more than likely even if he has got the code written down he wouldn't be able to find it! Be nice to get something along the lines of what I've just knackered as it's a "posh" Metro, so had the auto reverse 4 preset for the radio unit, not top end, but not el basico either. And I figure keeping it Rover means it's a less nickable name, as well as making the car look original still ;)

If I can be bothered I'll try the local car boots, and phone to see if the breakers is open, and how much he'd want etc. 15 quid is more than I really want to pay for a stereo for an 80 quid car just because I buggered up, but I'll bear it in mind :) Do you take Paypal monies, cause I think I've got about 15 quid in the account at the mo not doing a great deal...

Reply to
Stuffed

I do have a PayPal account. snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk and snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk Are both registered. AFAIR the radio I have has 6 presets on FM and AM. Can't recall if it has auto reverse. If you're genuinely interested I'll dig it out and tell you the model and details etc. Reply direct using my Tiscali address. I'm live Nr Horsham W Sussex, in case you live anywhere near. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Stuffed" saying something like:

Heh. Classic.

Bootsale radio/cassette... fiver.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Cheers for the offer - I was about two minutes from taking you up on it when I managed to find exactly the same model as I've just knackered, complete with code :)

Someone had obviouly fitted a different stereo at some point, and then put the original back in, messing the wiring up a bit, so I didn't fancy trying to sort it out unless I really really had to!

Reply to
Stuffed

I've had a very long week - And had already spent most of the night trying to get the hifi tape deck to work (I seldom ever listen to music, let alone tapes, but figured I might as well make sure the tape deck worked for when/ if I sell the car...). I really should have known better than to use a wobbly (although new) drill, blunt wobbly (also new) bits, especially when so worn out.

Also this week I have lost the needle valve out the carb, and I think fitted a trunion pin the wrong way round on another car. I need a holiday!

Indeed :)

Amazingly I got the exact same model, so it was just a straight plug in and go job too. That'll be my good luck done with for the year.

Reply to
Stuffed

Good for you. No problem here. Saves me having to dig it out and check it over. Someday it will be a classic radio. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G