Question about 99 Passat Wagon radio

This one is the stock radio with the cassette deck in it and the VW 6-disk player living in the rear where the first aid kit is supposed to go. The tape deck died over the winter and the local dealer wants about $275 to pull it and send it in for repair (no rebuilt units available according to them). I've seen that later cars have a combo tape and single cd player unit in the space that is currently occupied by the existing radio and a small cubby place for shoving receipts and other junk (not much else fits). Would one of the later model radios fit in the 99? And still be able to hook up to the wiring for the rear cd player?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Regal

Ed,

At this point, you'd probably do better to go out and buy yourself a $99.99 aftermarket Head Unit from Best Buy or Car Toys and have them install it for you. They say free installation, but what they mean is $15.00 for parts, and free labor for the install. So you end up spending less than half of what the dealership wants to charge you, your warranty will be perfectly intact since it was a professional install (if that's an issue for you), and you'll have a better stereo overall.

Sincerely, ~Mister.Lull

Reply to
Mister.Lull

I see several choices for you. Ebay is one Crutchfield is another Used from a VW or Passat list is still another suggestion.

On the passats group someone just lost their '98 Passat car in a garage fire. I am not sure if the interior was damaged but maybe the radio is ok if the vehicle is still available. If you want to join..............

Or, just send an email to " snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com"

If you don't want to join email me and I will try to hook both of you all up. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Although since the tape deck on the OP's one died, that suggests to me that he wants a tape deck. There might be some still out there but finding one that:

  1. Has a tape deck.
  2. Communicates with the CD changer for full functionality
  3. Looks like it "belongs" in the Passat (e.g.: blue/red lighting)

...could be prohibitive.

Removing the old one is easy if you have the tools that slide into the slots...Crutchfield supplies them for free with purchase of a new head unit but I'm sure you can purchase them online from someone out there for cheap anyway...I know I've seen them out there. Then, just go to ebay and buy a gently-used VW factory stereo and there ya go.

Reply to
Matt B.

Ed , If the problem is just the tape not playing , it's probably just the drive belt has broken , the belt cost about a dollar and usually is just a matter of pulling of the bottom cover removing the old belt and at a electonics store they fix you up with the proper belt.

Reply to
samstone