Removal of shift knob in 1992 240 automatic

I posted earlier today "Replacing Shift Lever Cover." I must not have had sufficient coffee. I do have the cover unscrewed. The problem was not knowing how much pressure it takes to remove the shift knob so I can replace the shift cover. I had tried one time but backed off after seeing a lot of wires still attached to the shift knob. Thanks to James for replying to the original post. Any input on this will be appreciated. James B

Reply to
JB

Pry out the O/D switch and discoonect the wires. Three pieces are going to come loose at the same time. The push button, the spring underneath the push button and the knob. Note that the shifter shaft going to the knob is surounded by a ver thin chrome colored plastic sleeve that forms a wire race for the O/D wire pair. Wrap the sleve from top to bottom with a spiral of electrical tape to keep it intact. Find two square shanked screwdrivers place each at the base if the shaft with the heads pointing opposite directions. Straddle the the transmission tunel and lift up forcefully with both screwdrivers. The knob will come loose and the knob and spring will fly into the back seat. Install the new shifter cover. Reinstall the O/D wires and feed them into the hole in the side of the knob. Drive the knob back down on the shaft with a rubber hammer until it properly mates with the plastic sleeve. Install the spring. Orient the push button to the proper direction, put a couple drops of super glue in the latching end of the push button and tap it home with a rubber hammer. There will be an audible click when it engages the annulus in the push rod.

Bob

Reply to
User