1994 Auto, Shift knob override and odomiter

Greetings All, I am in the process of putting a 94 850 w- 4 speed Auto and 2.4L engine on the road. I had a few questions I am hopping you might help with.

1: The shift knob won't move out of park unless I press the little override button. Is this some kind of Anti-theft device? I know the car has been sitting for a while with a dead battery.

2: the Odometer is not working and I need to fix it to get through inspection. Any thoughts on where to get parts or info on this type of issue. The book I bought on the car refers to the instrument pod as a sealed unit that must be replaced all at once. I removed and disassembled it but could find no obvious reason for the failure. The one I have is made in Germany.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks, Charles

2: The Odometer does not work
Reply to
Charles

No, it's a safety feature, to stop you from moving the shifter out of park unless the brake is on. There's a microswitch that often fails, see:

you're in there, replace the bulb that lights up the shiftposition.

There's drive gear on the odometer that cracks just like on the old 240 mechanical speedometers. See

Mike F