Removing front seats in S60 and disconnecting airbags

I'm looking to replace the existing interior in my S60 D5. When I remove the front seats I'll need to disconnect the airbags and then reconnect with the new seats.

Does anyone know whether I'm likely to get problems with the airbag warning system ? If so, is it simple to reset ?

Cheers

Michael.

Reply to
Michael M0APC

I strongly urge you to get the airbag "safed" done by a licensed Volvo mechnic. These are explosive devices and WILL cause serious injuries.

Same for restoring the system when you're done.

Reply to
byrocat

i agree...unless you are ok working w/explosives ...it can be like disarming a small bomb.....not for me....thanx.....

byrocat wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Excellent advice, I agree completely. At the very least he runs the chance of having inoperative air bags after this backyard repair.

Reply to
hjsjms

Gah, makes me all the more glad to have a car *without* those cursed things. Last thing I want is a bomb going off while I'm working on my car.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sadly, me too. Of all the car jobs I do, working in the vicinity of the airbag system makes me most uneasy. I know it probably isn't as touchy as I fear, otherwise there would be constant warnings to be careful beyond taking the usual precautions. In theory, all you have to do is power the car down by disconnecting the battery and waiting a minute or two before proceeding. Depending on how invasive you are being you may also need to unfasten the airbag connector and place the shorting jumper across it. But the idea that I could do $1000 damage in the blink of an eye and possibly injure myself in the process (I've seen people who were restrained by airbags) gives me the willies.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Dear friends,

Changing the seatbelts on my 850, was treated as using ammo by my Volvo dealer. The new units came from Gothenborg, Sweden treated as explosives.

If you not an expert please don't try it your self, you might get hurt.

greetings from the netherlands,

Robert

"Michael M0APC" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Volvo-480-V70

yea, true....until you need them...seatbelts are a hassle also...

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Seatbelts good, crash cages and crumple zones good, airbags, a bunch of BS in my opinion, so long as the car is designed well from the start they're more hassle than help.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm mostly with you - my acquaintances run about 50/50 with their airbag experiences. One says the airbag saved her life in a left turn head-on, but she looked like she had fallen face-first from a motorcycle. Another suffered two arms broken across his face because he had his arms in the wrong position on the wheel when the bomb went off.

I am a seat belt (harness) fanatic, though, having two brothers who emerged unhurt from separate rollovers because they were belted in. Last year a co-worker was on the freeway near Phoenix when a nearby car had a blowout and swerved sideways right in front of him. He couldn't avoid hitting her in the driver's door, which set her car rolling over madly for hundreds of feet and landing upside down in an unrecognizable heap. The driver was helped out by bystanders - she had a cut on the back of her hand - while the baby in the car seat in the center of the back seat was hanging upside down with a puzzled expression.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i don't know....the numbers indicate (to me, at least) air bags are a net contribution...to safety...sure, there may be the ocassional problem...the same argument as the "i will ever use seatbelts cause' of the potential of a fire in the roll over" one my grandpa used all the time.....

we are seeing the installiation of air bags on light aircraft now, as well.... and side curtians......any reduction of "shock to the head" is good.... there still a potential bomb though.... ;-(

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Reply to