95 Golf removing front seats

I want to remove my front seats to clean the car. I noticed there is an electrical harness underneath. What will happen if I disconnect it? Is it just for seatbelt alert? Or is it connected to airbag deployment? Something else? My Golf has only power locks, and dual air bags, no other power options. How does one remove the seats and what tool(s) are needed? TIA

Reply to
mr nobody

The connector is for the seatbelt alert. You can disconnect it and plug it back in when you put the seat back in.

Tools - hex (allen) key - can't remember the size - 10 mm open end wrench.

The bolt is on the track under the seat at the front. Take it out, remove the trim pieces from the rear of the tracks, and slide the seat out the back of the tracks. It can be done in 5 minutes.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

Thank you very much, exactly what I needed.

Reply to
mr nobody

Didn't know mk3 golf's have seatbelt alerts. My 1997 gti 16v has no such alert?????

Reply to
vw-stuff

Well considering you say you have a 97 16V, I am guessing that you are not in North America??

My 95 Golf GL TD has a seatbelt alert.

DC

Reply to
David Cotie

For future searches I'll state it is a 10mm open end with a 5mm hex. Very simple to get seat out. As you say need to remove plastic end caps to slide seat out rearward. The hard part is getting the seat back on the track without knocking off the plastic glide on the door side. I had to put it back on about 6 times. Took about 20 minutes and some sweat. You get grease on your hands too. Knowing how easy it is o get the seat out I may just recarpt my car too!

Reply to
mr nobody