removing intake manifold for ECT replacement. '94 940

Hi everyone this is my first post here. Its good to find a wealth of knowledge and expertise on these great cars. Thanks in advance.

I've recently dumped the codes on my 1994 940 and it looks like the cause of my rough idle is a faulty ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor. I plan on removing the intake manifold to better access the ECT sensor. I dont need to entirely remove the intake, just move it back away from the block a few inches. Question is, is it possible to leave everything (fuel rails, injectors, throttle body, etc) on the intake manifold while I do this? Thanks again.

Roland

Reply to
roland

There is no need to remove the intake manifold to extract the ect sensor just disconnect the connector release the pressure in the cooling system then remove the sensor you will lose some coolant Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Klein

The ECT sensor is under intake manifold runner #3. I couldn't imagine trying to get to it without pulling up the intake manifold. Again, this is for a '94 940. Also there are two temperature sensors under the intake manifold. The first, which is for the in-dash temp gauge, is under the first manifold runner so it is very easy to get to. Perhaps you're thinking of this one. The second, which is the one I'm trying to get to, is a sensor for the ECU, and is unreachable by any tool or any hand I've ever seen. Thank for the response though. I should have been more clear in my original post.

Reply to
roland

Just pull off the intake air hose and the throttle housing. If you file or cut the corners off the old sensor you can fit a craftsman 19mm deep socket over the sensor. Add a six inch wobble extension, then a swivel, then a 14-18" extension. Lock the whole mess with your left hand and unscrew the sensor from near the brake master cylinder reservoir. If the coolant isn't hot you can snake the new sensor and washer back into position with your fingers. Use a small stubby flat blade screwdriver in the plug to gently start the sensor into the threads, switching to fingers at the first sign of resistance. If you filed away the corners on the new sensor you can use the socket method to get it tight. Otherwise there isn't very much room to tighten it up with a wrench, even with the manifold completely out of the eay.

Bob

Reply to
User

zencraps