Replacement - 740 Turbo crank shaft front oil seal.

I have a 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo station wagon, oil is pouring out from the front of the engine. I took the cover off the timing belt and it was soaked with oil also. The front oil seal for the crank shaft has failed ( over

300000Km on this seal ).

I have to take the bolt off the front pulley which is attached to the crank to get to the seal, but I have no way of stopping the crank from turning over, whenever I tried to undo the bolt, the crank will turn as well.

Has anyone done this seal replacement before and know of a way of stopping the crank from turning when you take the pulley bolt out. Help is much appreciated.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Chan

You can pop off one of the inspection covers on the bellhousing (assuming this is an auto) and wedge a wrench in there on the bolts that hold the torque converted to the drive plate.

Reply to
James Sweet

The dealers and others sell a tool to hold the crankshaft pulley while you remove the bolt. OR.. This method is crude but it works for me. Using a socket, breaker bar and a short piece of pipe. Brace against the driver side frame rail. Crank the starter for 1/2 sec. Presto he bolt is loose.

Check the flame trap. A clogged flame trap can fail that seal.

Reply to
ALRHALL